Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I've been kind of slack in the past year regarding recording expenses and adhering to a budget. For a few months a couple of years ago, I followed the "Your Money or Your Life" technique of writing all my money inflows and outflows. That worked great for me, not only making me more conscious of what I'm spending on but deterring me from spending, as well. Writing out each expense was tedious!

I'm getting back to basics too! I'm re-reading YMOYL and I've started recording every penny spent. I've always used a rewards credit card for virtually all purchases, but I'm wondering whether I'll spend less using cash (studies apparently show one does).

I'm also using a budget (Oh my!! What a concept!) I have never stuck to one before, I've always just tried to minimise expenses. I don't know if it will make much difference, but I know I need to meet certain savings targets to reach my FIRE goal. What is interesting is that my brain keeps trying to save from my budgeted expenditure! I'm always looking at categories thinking, "I could save another $xxx from that, I could not spend as much on xxxx". I'm sure I will spend less than the budegeted amount initially, but I fully expect that over time, things will have to normalize.

Anyhow, goodluck with going back to basics. My fat lil' notebook and I are right there with you!

PennyRecordingBeastie
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement