Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I've been looking at the Fuji FinePix S3000, but I read that it is bad in low light. I'd like to get a camera to get me used to digital, one that takes pretty decent pictures that I can edit and enlarge (I don't think I'd go larger than 8 X 10), and one that doesn't frustrate me too much. One of the things I liked about the Fuji S3000 is that it has a 6X zoom, but a friend of mine said that I may be compromised when shooting at a wide angle.

As far as low light goes, it helps if you know how most digital cameras focus. The DSLRs work like normal SLRs, but most consumer digital cameras work off of contrast. What they do is over an area of the picture, they adjust the focus back and forth to maximize the contrast of the image. My Nikon 5700 looks at vertical lines in the focus box.

This means that if the light is low there is less contrast for the camera to see and it takes longer or the camera doesn't focus at all. To help in indoor situations, some cameras use a focus assist light.

The way to look at the zoom, is to consider the equivalent range of focal lengths for a 35mm camera. The Fuji has a field of view equivalent to a 38-228mm zoom lense. Most digitals are 35 or 38mm equivalent. There are a rare few that go down to 28mm equivalent. If you need a larger panorama, you can take two photos and use software to stitch them together...

As others have mentioned, check out www.dpreview.com . The reviews have more detail than you can imagine, but you can look at comparison shots of the same scene with different comparable cameras.
Print the post  

Announcements

Online Photos
Yahoo! Groups
(Registration Required)
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement