Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I've been operating as a sole proprietor for 3 years, and have now incorporated and intend to start doing business under the corporate name on 1/1/2001. I have a few questions that I would greatly appreciate help with.

1) I will have a split plan (15% profit sharing + 10% money purchase) for retirement. Do I make contributions to the two plans throughout the year, or after the end of the year?

Either; however, your 2001 plan contributions will need to be made by 3/15/2002; your "S" corp. tax return date.

2) Corporate credit cards charge irritating fees. Can I make business purchases with a personal card and then have the Corp re-imburse me?

Certainly. You as an indiviudal, should complete a monthly exepense report & submit it to your corp. for all ordinary & necessary business expenses you incur on behalf of the corp.

3) For meal expenses while travelling, can my Corp employee reimbursement plan choose to simply re-imburse at IRS established Per-Diem rates?


4) I provide consulting services, and my clients have submitted 1099's for compensation paid to me in years past. Will they continue to file a 1099 (or some similar form) for compensation paid to my corp?

Depends. A payor is not obligated to complete & file a 1099 when payment is being made to a corporation; although many payors choose to do so anyway.

5) Do I have to have several separate officers/board members, or can the board consist of only one person (me)?

Just you.

6) I will have some work completed in 2000 that I may decide to not invoice until 2001. If I do it that way, is that income (in 2001) Sched C income (since I did it in 2000 when I was operating as a Sole Prop) or is it Corp Income (since it is taxable in 2001 when I am operating as a Corp)?

Actually it can more or less be your choice. The simple solution is to call it corp. income.

7) Where can I find info on a Corp employee medical expense reimbursement plan?

easy way is to check out the bookstore for some "INC Yourself" books which usually have a fist full of draft corporate resolutions in them.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.