No. of Recommendations: 3
I've been purchasing Series I and EE bonds since Aug. 17th. To date no interest has been shown on these bonds,

What Treasury Direct, the Bond Wizard, and the Bond Calculator show are the redemption values, that is, after subtracting off the most recent 3 months of interest penalty (unless the bonds are at least 5 years old).

So, since redemption value is shown, and since there is a 3-month interest penalty if redeemed in less than 5 years from month of issue, none of those three sources of interest information will show any interest until you are into month 4.

I would expect you to be able to see some interest this week (it is often late on the first business day in the month and sometimes the second business day before the information gets updated). If I am wrong, then you should see some interest shown next month.

Note: even though you normally cannot redeem an I-Bond or an EE-Bond within 1 year of month of issue, you can if the Bureau of Public Debt declares your area a disaster area.

And, yes, you will be able to see the redemption value (and the interest shown will be minus the penalty) even before the savings bond can normally be redeemed. I have such an EE-Bond ("book entry" form) through TreasuryDirect so I am speaking from personal experience.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement