UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (54) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: salecat Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1491  
Subject: Re: Others with un-retirement? Your ratio? Date: 11/11/2007 9:58 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I've found this thread interesting since I'm considering retirement. I'm 59 and have 23-25 times expected expenses in the nest egg. Since I haven't done a real good job of categorizing expenses it's hard to go back for the last year and do so. For instance when we pay for groceries using a debit card sometime we get cash, so adding up grocery expenses doesn't necessarily tell me what we spent on groceries since we dispose of receipts once the checking account is balanced. Also DD is a senior in college, and while she pays most of her expenses there are still some DW & I pay. That will hopefully go away when she graduates or soon thereafter.

At any rate I have a pretty good idea of expenses. The other issue for me is what do I do when I retire. That's a little off topic here so I'll assume for now that I will find ways to fill that time. However, the on-topic part of this paragraph is that I've reduced my working hours over the last 3-4 years to about 60-75% of "full time". I have my own 1-person computer consulting business so I can control my hours to some extent. DW works but not for pay (at least I think that's the politically correct way to say she a homemaker and volunteer). I have been able to do cut back so far without dipping into our nest egg. I'm planning next year to reduce my hours a little more and give myself a couple of full days off each week to see how I adjust. This will require dipping a little into the nest egg (1 - 1.5%).

Also since my company reimburses all of our medical expenses, working part time will allow us to continue that until I qualify for SS. I may rethink this issue but since that is such a volatile expense I would rather my company pay for it at least for now.

When the time comes for full retirement (hopefully next 2-3 years) I think we will be sort of like Mr. & Mrs. RetiredVermonter. DW and I are diligent about not going into debt. We don't spend on many extravagances. We have traveled more than usual in the last 3 years due in part to DD spending a semester and a summer in Seville. But that won't continue. We will have a budgeted amount to spend and we will just tighten the belt rather than spend more (except for emergencies). Like I said we're pretty much that way now.

So in full retirement I plan to withdraw no more than 3 - 3.5% of the nest egg each year. I guess we'll find out how all this really works out but that has been my thought process so far.

Thanks again for the thought-provoking posts.

Salecat
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (54) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Clorox Isn't Cleaning Up
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement