UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (43) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: GertrudeCNA One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1488  
Subject: Re: Retirement in danger Date: 9/18/2009 12:51 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I've given this some thought.

There are well over a million careworkers in this country like myself. Almost all are women, and half are single providers.

Those who work in nursing homes and the like make an average of just over $10 per hour. For this, they often are assigned 20 or more patients, which leaves no time for quality care. Still, 36% of those CNA's working in nursing homes have household incomes of under $20,000 per year.
http://eldercarenotebook.blogspot.com/2009/07/cdc-on-nursing...

Those employed by home care agencies generally make less, and have few or no benefits, but at least have the chance to properly do the work they love.

Most home care workers, like myself, don't have health insurance, although we know how important that is. Most don't have a prospect of retirement. I know that the way it looks now, I will never be able to stop working during my lifetime.

To some, it seems from the posts, it's our own fault for not 'advancing'. Often, that's not possible, especially if we have been working to allow our own children to get college educations. But we shouldn't forget that some of us do love our work. Also, someone has to do the work, and people in our care obviously are better off having caregivers who really want to be doing their work.... and not because they can't do better.

One reason the pay is so low, by the way, is if you break down the costs of care, to the payer, and calculate the small fraction of that the actual hands-on caregivers are receiving, there's a wide gap. There are a lot of people to be paid along the way. Actual care receivers are paying far too much, and of that, actual caregivers are receiving far too little.

There are things that health care consumers can do to help, and at the same time save some money (and also at the same time, help people like me make a living). Those with Long Term Care policies can save themselves considerable money.

See: "Stretching your LTC claim dollars" which I also posted at
http://www.aarp.org/community/GertrudeCNA/journals/

Gertrude
http://eldercarenotebook.blogspot.com/
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (43) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

The Future, or What's Left of It
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement