UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (31) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: SaintCroix Big red star, 1000 posts CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 63115  
Subject: I've had it up to here with Michael Moore Date: 6/18/2004 7:22 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 17
And I've also had it up to here with people who've had it up to here. Including myself. But I couldn't let this pass without comment.

I've seen a couple of different American posters for Fahrenheit 9/11. One features a computer-generated image of Michael Moore holding hands with George Bush in front of the White House. Another shows Michael Moore peeking through a file folder marked confidential. Both posters feature the tagline: "Controversy? What controversy?"

Here's a European poster for Fahrenheit 9/11. It features the tagline: "The temperature where freedom burns," and shows an American flag being burned:

http://www.hiff.fi/uutiset/?id=20040609fahren

It's kind of interesting to think about the thought process behind that poster. You could argue that Moore is saying George Bush is burning the flag, by destroying our civil liberties. But if that's the case, why not have a computer-generated image of George Bush burning the flag? And if that's what Moore is saying, why wouldn't you show the poster here, since it's our rights, not European rights? I mean, it's not like Europe has a First Amendment, so what do they care if our First Amendment is being destroyed?

The more cynical explanation is that a sizable minority of Europe is anti-American, and if you put up a poster of a burning American flag, it caters to that audience and excites them.

That link is notable for something else. Moore's distributor in the Middle East, Front Row, has recieved offers of help from Hezbollah, the terrorist organization.

In terms of marketing the film, Front Row is getting a boost from organisations related to Hezbollah which have rung up from Lebanon to ask if there is anything they can do to support the film. And although Chacra says he and his company feel strongly that Fahrenheit is not anti-American, but anti-Bush, "we can't go against these organisations as they could strongly boycott the film in Lebanon and Syria."

I guess that means they'll go with the poster of the burning American flag. Anyway, I'm glad to hear that Hezbollah is involved in the distribution, as they've always been such supporters of the arts in the past.

Taylor
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (31) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Hollywood Stock Exchange Game
Trade those actors and movies on the HSX board.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Mylan Transitioning from Generics
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement