Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: CABob Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19371  
Subject: Re: Lost Social Security Check - what to do next Date: 4/14/2009 1:50 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I've had no experience with a lost check, but, I have used direct deposit since starting benefits.
It sounds to me as though this process is becoming more complicated than it needs to be compounded by what sounds like some conficting information from the SS office.
The first question I would have is has the January check been cashed? I think you should have your mother ask for a status of all checks issued from January to the present including when they were sent, cashed, etc. January is a good starting month since the dollar amount for the checks would be different than 2008 checks.
If the January check has been cashed then either your mother is mistaken or it was fraudulantly cashed. If the latter I would think the SS office and perhaps others would be interested. If the check has not been cashed and your mother claims it was never received (or lost) I can't see how it is much of an issue with the SS office.

... they told my mother that they were going to send two checks and asked her to compare the signatures on the checks.

This makes me think that the SS office believes that the check was cashed and is trying to figure out whether it was fraud and I think this should be pursued. Have you checked your mother's deposits for January to see if an amount matching the missing check is there?
I suggest you take a look at the waiver form to see exactly what is being agreed to. Personally, if this is the form SS needs I would sign the form even if the wording was not exactly the circumstances.

Good luck, Bob
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement