Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: TMFTaxes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121219  
Subject: Re: Stock split Date: 1/19/1999 6:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
[[I've held some stocks for awhile and they have split. ]]

Congrats...

[[I am thinking of selling half
of them, but not sure how to figure what capital gains base price I would use.]]

I'll try and help you out...

[[ I
had 100 and now have 200. Lets just say I paid 25 a share. Would I use half of
this amout or take all the original price off the first 100 sold, making the 100 left,
100% capital gains at their time of sale at a later date?]]

Nope...it doesn't work like that at all. Your original basis was 100 shares at $25/share...for a total cost basis (ignoring broker costs and commissions) $2,500. When you received your additional shares, you were required to spread your total basis over ALL of the shares that you now own.

So your new "per share" basis is computed by taking your $2,500 cost basis, and dividing by 200 shares. That will give you a $12.50 basis for each and every share. So if you sell any shares, they will have basis.

[[And after doing this what
would I do if these should split again after doing this?? ]]

Let's look. Lets say that you didn't sell anything, and they now split 2:1 again. Now you have 400 total shares. Take your total basis of $2,500 divided by your 400 total shares, and you have a per share basis of $6.25.

And you keep "spreading" as the stock keeps splitting. Get it?? And, not only that, your holding period for your "split" shares retain the same holding period of when you purchased the original shares.

[[ Thank you for any insite you might give me and hoping this makes sense..smile.
I'm pretty new at this stuff.]]

The you REALLY might want to check out the TMF Investment Tax Guide. We speak about this issue in more detail there, and you will also get some good, strong tax information regarding your investment issues. Check it out.

TMF Taxes
Roy

Want to learn more about taxes and investing? Then we have a deal for you!! The Motley Fool Investment Tax Guide is now available through Fool Mart. Be the first one on your block to own this masterpiece. It'll help you with your 1998 taxes, and it's never to early to start planning for your 1999 taxes. So just click on this link (http://www.foolmart.com/market/product.asp?pfid=MF+013+I) to read more about this amazing collection of tax information. (Apologies for the shameless plug…but it is a pretty good book…if I do say so myself). In addition, if you would like to visit the Taxes FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) area, click on http://www.fool.com/school/taxes/taxes.htm and you'll be right at the home page. Check it out. Finally, if you need to get to the IRS web site, click on http://www.irs.ustreas.gov to go directly there.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement