Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I've just finished talking to Andy from Ayco. Those are the advisors you get through the Motely Fool. He could not provide detailed advice but said that generally, if we held the property as a rental for 2 years, we could then live in it. This according to a private letter ruling. He enphasized this was not a guarantee.

He also said that what we wanted to do (sell property to person A and buy new property from person B) is not an exchange and would not qualify. We have to exchange our lot for a property from another person. We cannot sell our property and shield the gain.

He did point out that we would only pay 15% LTCapGains on the profit. In the case of us living in FL, and selling a property in CA, he wasn't sure if we would owe taxes to either state. FL has not state income tax, but I don't know if FL taxes capital gains.

Obviously, we need a financial advisor on this. Does anyone know anything about the Dalbar rating service that the Fool uses to select advisors? Is this a respected rating service?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.