Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I've just learned that the company I work at is being acquired and is going to cash out stock and options.

Since much of this will be short-term capital gains, is there anything I can do to lesson my tax burden come tax time?

If you have any stock losses in your personal portfolio, this might be a good time to sell and realize the loss. The losses could offset your
gain on the company stock.

Otherwise, make sure you have adequate estimated taxes paid in to avoid being assessed any penalties for underpayment of taxes.

Best wishes.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.