Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 21259  
Subject: Re: pumpkin Date: 12/14/2012 6:23 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I've never tried (kind of been afraid to) was baking a real pumpkin to use in my pumpkin muffins, cheesecakes, etc.

The first thing to know about pumpkins is that there are basically two types, the large jack-o-lantern ones that you see around Hallows-eve, and the smaller “pie pumpkins”. both types can be used but the smaller “pie pumpkins’ are sweeter and have a more intense taste. I usually buy a big one for DW to put by the front door for the kids trick-or-treating and sometimes I’ll get a “pie pumpkin” for kitchen decoration.

Not hard at all, my only concern was how to know it was done enough.

When we returned from our Thanksgiving trip, I cut up the jack-o-lantern pumpkin into large chunks, removing the seeds and most of the “stringy innards” these chunks were placed in 3 baking pans and baked in a 350 degree oven until soft (stuck a dull knife through them) and then allowed to cool to room temp.
;-)

But my question for those of you who have done this before, is do you put it in the food processer to make it extra smooth? Or do you cook with it just pulled out of the skin, or fork-mashed?

When cool, I cut off the skin and ran it through a food processor, in batches to get it fairly smooth and divided it into zipper-top sandwich bags each holding a bit over 1 pound of pumpkin. I froze 4 bags for later use and used about a pound for the first pie. I’m lazy so I just added 2 eggs to the pumpkin in the processor and blended until smooth. I then added 3/4 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ginger and 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves. I processed that until smooth and added a cup of evaporated milk. When all that was blended, it went into a 9” deep-dish pie shell to be baked. Came out quite good, yes.
;-)

C.J.V. - I’ll probably process the “pie pumpkin” after Christmas if da world don’t end on the 21st, me
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement