Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: jhw888 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 320  
Subject: Re: Dead? Date: 12/7/2007 1:55 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I've owned HMC for about 4 or 5 yrs. It's done ok [I'm up about 70%] but not as well as TM which I had considered buying in place of HMC. Only wanted 1 Japan stock at the time [part of my intl diversification plan] & certainly only 1 Japanese auto maker.

What intrigued me about HMC was that they not only make cars but their motorcycles are very popular & an impt part of their offering. Since it seems in a lot of countries in Asia motorcycles are more affordable & easier to get around in than cars HMC has a strong mkt in that area.

HMC also manufactures outstanding marine outboard motors. A few boat owners I've know over the yrs will only purchase a Honda outboard motor b/c they are so reliable. Certainly no one wants to be out on the ocean & have their motor fail & fr what I understand they motors are very easy to repair should something go wrong.

Also in doing a bit of researching on HMC I was additionally impressed that they make jet engines which are apparently very good.

So, perhaps financially not the very most advantageous decision in retrospect b/c TM's stock price has increased more than HMC, I selected HMC as it seemed more diversified & interesting & a co that I thought I would want to own for a long time.

1 last decision that made me not select TM, though again I would have made more on the stock esp if I'd bought TM vers HMC, was I went to look at the Lexus sedan & SUV. After comparing them to similar models by BMW & Mercedes I wasn't impressed in the least by the Lexus. Also the staff at the TM dealership were lazy & not very helpful which I did not think reflected well on the professionalism that TM holds their staff to. When 1 needed a little truck I looked at the Honda trucks which were fine & the staff very helpful but they were a bit pricier than the comparable Mazda so we, needing to base a decision on cost, bought the Mazda but would have bought the Honda if the truck had been near the same price.

Good luck w/ HMC. I think it will do well in the long run & have been pleased to own such an innovative co. They are working on some interesting products that should surely keep the co growing.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Should You Be an Index Investor?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement