UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ortman Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35345  
Subject: Re: Is my analysis flawed? Date: 9/25/2001 4:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I've put $10k in VBMFX. My reasoning? :-

Although the NAV of the index fluctuates it only appears to do so within a few percent (I think the difference between the highest and lowest in 5 years is around 12% and over 10 years is <20%). Ignoring capital movement the yield seems to be 6%-7% which is 2%-4% better than I can get at the bank or money market. As I intend to leave the money as a permanent emergency fund (until I retire in 20 years) it would seem after 3 or 4 years the extra yield will have compensated for any future capital risk (and that includes me buying at the top of the market). I can get immediate access to short term use of part of the fund and replace it as needed.

As you noticed, the NAV is likely to fluctuate with interest rates. The last 18 months have tacked on around 10% to the NAV. Similar movement the other way would have the opposite effect. If the NAV dropped, and you needed the money for a legitemate emergency, you might face having to liquidate the fund at a loss. While it's intended that the emergency fund will be permanent, it doesn't always work out that way.

When I setup the emergency fund, I looked at VCITX and I-Bonds.

Given that I inteneded the fund to be as permanent as possible, I didn't want to pay income taxes on the interest every year. So, you may want to consider a bond fun like VCITX. Depending on your tax rate, the effective yield may be higher then the same in VBMFX.

However, investing in a muni bond fund still has the issue of a fluctuating NAV. So I purchased I-Bonds. Good rate of return, deferred taxation, safe, and they're easy to cash. They are my personal favorite vehicle for "emergency" savings.

-Ortman
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement