UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75859  
Subject: Re: newbie Date: 12/1/2004 3:59 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
i've read articles that even a little per month is better than nothing. is that true? for example, if i put like a measly $50/mo each for me and my wife for the next 30yrs. can i really do much with that? i still have the thinking that "if you don't have much, why invest?" obviously, that's not my plan but if that were the scenario - could it still work?

I'm a big believer in starting a savings program. Just start. Pick any amount, no matter how small, and put that same amount away every interval whether that is weekly or monthly. What you're really doing at this point is setting up your own discipline to actually save some set amount every week or month, and you will find that once you have that discipline in place, adjusting your set number upward doesn't become that difficult.

Something that I have found works well, especially when you are starting out, is to pick some small number like $10 or $25 a month, and set that aside. Then increase that amount by $5 every month until it's too much, and back it down to the previous level. That will slowly get you up to a reasonable savings number for your own budget, income, and expenses. When you get raises whether it's from an annual raise on the job, changing jobs, or eliminating some regular expense [with us, it was things like diapers for the kids, and then daycare], then take that amount and add it to your regular savings. The logic is that if you're already living without that money, then you can continue to live without it by adding it to your savings.

I started us out by putting aside $25 a week [I got paid weekly in those days] that I put into savings, and over the years I have increased that amount by doing what I noted above. I did increase our budget somewhat along the way, but not to the same level as the dollars that were being added to the income, and most of that was to support having the twins and their expenses. But over the past 20 years, I've managed to increase from $25 a week to putting aside many multiples of that a week, not including my 401k contributions. And if you do it by adding things like raises as you get them, you won't even notice it a hit to your budget because that money was never in your budget.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Mobileye's Growth too Hot?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement