Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: solasis Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 297  
Subject: Re: Risk Premium a la Buffett Date: 7/11/2000 12:27 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
i've read Lowenstein's book cover to cover several times. understanding WEB's mind is somewhat difficult but clearly you can see in Byrne's offer the way an insurer thinks. i would assume, using this anectdotal story, that byrne is thinking:

1. how much money can i blow without my wife killing me? (answer: around $30,000 bucks)

2. 30,000 bucks divided by three golf partners is 10,000 bucks.

3. a hole in one on a par three has about 1:1000 probability.

4. 10,000 bucks divided by 1000 is 10 bucks.

5. add my 10% profit for providing this service and the premium becomes 11 bucks.

Buffett, on the other hand is thinking to himself...i've played about 5000 or 6000 par threes in my lifetime, and have never had a hole in one. therefore my chance is probably less than that. so i might be willing to pay, based on my life's empirical evidence, 10,000 divided by 5000 or 6000, or around 2 dollars, hence the premium in his mind being "overvalued". WEB must have assessed his chances of a hole in one at significantly below the 1:1000.

But seriously, the emotional response to pull out the wallet simply because the potential payoff is high, is the reason that lotteries exist and why super-cat can be such a great business for Berkshire.

as far as the premium=insured value*probability of event, you are neglecting the fact that insurers also tend to tack on some service related fee, i.e., they have found that people will consistently pay slightly above that mathematical expectation for the intangible benefit of having the insurance. in the long run, WEB recognizes, as do all smart insurers, that profits in insurance derive primarily from the service premium they can get and from the benefits of float. any profit above that really is gambling in the true sense.

tr

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Apple

The Saddest Place on iPhone Day
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement