Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I've read reports of Nikon cameras getting bricked and Nikon service centers refusing to repair them due to hacked firmware.

I think we will see open source firmware about the same time we see it from auto manufacturers.

Understandable, the firmware hacker world is new to me, never considered it, but I can see if they are truly savvy, want to play. But, like auto software gamers, back it up first, then make it so the user can always reload to factory loads.. There are nice programmers who've done it for Harley's, many cars, trucks, and let you dig deeper than might be safe as far as warranty...

I'd love to have access to my F150 software, not just the engine, but change the level the headlights kick in, shut off the door beeper, little annoyances.. But it's not there.. My mechanic has after market software for most vehicles as related to diagnostics, a laptop dedicated to each line... But that's how he earns his living, so he pays dearly for some of that... I don't know id there is that level of digging, hacking for cameras, past the factory doors...

Have to keep looking.. Learning...
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement