No. of Recommendations: 1
I've seen several posters here comment about the quitclaim deeds as being undesirable, so I'm wondering what sort of deeds do people in other places get?

Here in MA, Quitclaims are the only type of deed of which I am aware, so if you won't accept property with a quitclaim deed, then you're not buying anything in MA.

And title insurance here is always purchased by the buyer and not provided by the seller. Is that also not typical in other places?

It sounds like who pays for title insurance is a regional thing. Here in the DC area, at least in MD and DC, the buyer pays. When I sold property in Kansas as executor of an estate the seller paid, even for the buyer's policy. As Peter mentioned, there's title insurance for the mortgagee--you're not getting a loan without it--and title insurance for the buyer.

I've never heard of quit claim deeds being the only type of transfer used, but I'd never before seen driving like I saw in Boston on my first visit. There's nothing inheritently wrong with quit claim deeds. They just don't warrant that the seller has any interest in the property to sell. That's why you get title insurance, even when the transfer is by warranty deed.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  


Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Buying/Selling a Home FAQ

Mortgage Professor
Offsite resource for mortgage questions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.