UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: wecoguy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 21124  
Subject: Re: Every time I'm on a plane Date: 11/8/2012 11:53 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I/we don't fear flying, many years of flights, I understand all the techy things, maintenance here in the US at the whim of corporate belt tightening is scarier...

A friend and I were talking on Halloween, he was an avionics whiz, so tons of air time, globally.. Best airline to his mine was the Emirates http://www.emirates.com/us/english/index.aspx line... roomy, comfy, spotless... Makes UA, others look like rats nests, cattle cars... Another world...

Overseas flights are interesting, my first was back in '67, heading to a worksite for several months in the Marshall Islands. Propellers! World Airways.. Double duty as a freight hauler, so half the plane is loaded with crates.. Stews were young guys, gals, dealing with it fine as it made round robin trips a couple times a week, stopping in Honolulu to refuel, then on to the South Pacific in 10 hour flights.. Turbulence coming East into Hawaii got us once, sitting reading, sudden drop, stop was hard enough to put the Stews on the deck, me my head driven between my knees.. We'd apparently fallen a long ways vertically, then recovered.. No waring, bam! The planes are TOUGH, our nerves from there on into Honolulu, on edge, every jig or jag had the expected tenseness... But, all was good, just another day in the air... later years I was our Union Rep for the crew in Hawaii, so monthly or more flights, all on 747's was a fun ride, seasoned crews, great planes, Exit row seats if I could...

All good, they've come a long ways... if you can find a sky plot of all the flights, interesting how many are always on the air...

Enjoy...
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

The Story Behind the Story
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement