Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: captainccs Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19143  
Subject: Re: Cheapskate computer confussion Date: 7/11/2013 8:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Jack:

I haven't had a desktop in the past 10 to 15 years. There is nothing a desktop can do that a laptop can't. My laptop spends most of its time on a desk, not on a lap. The fact that it has a battery means it has a UPS incorporated. If you pay $1,500 for a laptop that lasts ten years, it's costing you (1,500/12/10 = 12.50) 12.50 a month. What else is so cheap these days?

I don't know where they are taking tablets but for the time being if you need two apps at a time the tablet won't cut it. If you need a real keyboard, the tablet does not have one. While laptops ate into the desktop market I think they are trying to protect the laptops from tablets.

As for computing power, that a different story. Web-apps are slowly replacing shrink wrapped desktop software but browser performance has to improve for full effect. Full adoption of HTML5 is needed. I have been replacing my desktop based portfolio software (spreadsheet and database) with a home grown web-app that runs on my server and on my laptop. One of the items that made it possible was the free, open source, PHPexcel library. It has just about all the Excel functions and macros.

http://phpexcel.codeplex.com/

As for ARM vs. Intel, ARM has plenty computing power to run servers. My take is that servers are Intel's market to lose and loose it they might. Servers come in may varieties. Some need awesome computing power, others don't. Some need to be fail-safe, others don't. Some need to service thousands of visitors, other just a few hundred. The big issue that is emerging is energy consumption. The faster you run a chip, the more power it uses and the hotter it gets meaning your cooling systems have to grow.

Mobile cloud sucks power grid harder than data centers
Wi-Fi and broadband cellular will produce more CO2 in 2015 than 4.9M new cars.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/04/mobile...

Power consumption could well become "the" key factor in the Intel-ARM wars

Denny Schlesinger
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement