No. of Recommendations: 1
Jack, in the situation you describe a laddered maturity bond portfolio is one thing you might want to look at. They can be very safe and no fees as in a mutual fund. Fot that you probably would want to use a discount broker.

Fools would usually suggest 5 yrs of expenses in that bond portfolio, but you could go up to 50% of your funds--especially if the interest income covers your living expenses. The rest can be in stocks for inflation protection.

You probably have these funds in a rollover IRA account. If you are over 59-1/2, you will want to set up a distribution plan. If you are under 59-1/2 you may want to set up a 72(t) distribution plan.

Seems like you are on the right track.

Fool on!!
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.