UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 63203  
Subject: Jack Reacher Date: 12/22/2012 9:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
Thanks for participating

Thanks. I usually write reviews just to hear myself talk. When I want to read a good one I read somebody who can really write, like Ebert or others, even if I don't like what they have to say. And I rarely read them ahead of time, but after? Almost always. I like to see what others thought, and what I might or might not have missed.

But I appreciate the kind words, anyway.

On to today's topic: Jack Reacher

There will be a Jack Reacher II, and III, and perhaps like James Bond and Superbowl an XXVII, because this is the very definition of a "franchise." Of course it's been done before - and better - but that doesn't matter, there is a suspenseful enough plot to string along even the most sentient audiences, sufficient and easy connection of the dots, the methodical layout of mystery, solved over time, a handsome leading man and a comely damsel or two along the way.

The first one of these I remember was Clint Eastwood's spaghetti westerns: the loner with no name (or background) fighting insurmountable odds and (of course) triumphing in the final reel. Add in the most evil antagonist (Auric Goldfinger), a smash-em-up car chase (Bullitt), and an entangled plot worthy of Bourne, and what to you have? A Mixmaster of a potboiler, but nothing original anywhere. And it doesn't matter, because this is a Christmas movie, designed to leave you breathless for two hours and to be as forgettable as the wrapping paper around that nasty holiday shirt you'll never wear.

Tom Cruise is the loner, called from retirement (you've heard this set up before?) to solve the mystery behind a mass murder by rifle (hence the postponement of the premier on Newtown Friday), with a fun interlude with Robert Duvall (as the crusty ex-Marine) and ... well, you get the idea. Daughter fights Daddy, DA fights lawyer, and Reacher fights everybody. Hollywood recycles!

I'm not dissing it. I'm glad I went. I didn't have high expectations, and they were met. A few instances of wooden acting, "seen-it-before" plot devices, and endless "I'm going to kill you, but first I have to talk for two minutes so you can get away" (a pet peeve) scenes, but overall, pretty much fun. And a bit of eye candy for both girls and boys.

The biggest problem with Jack Reacher is that the movie had the chance to stand 6 foot 5 inches tall, and only manages to reach about 5 foot 7.

Yes, it's a metaphor.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFJeanie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62148 of 63203
Subject: Re: Jack Reacher Date: 12/22/2012 10:19 PM
Recommendations: 0
Metaphor understood :-)

Am a big fan of Jack Reacher novels. Am reading one at present. Like you describe the movie as eye candy, I find the novels a "big bowl of popcorn". The perfect escape when I need a light break after plowing through heavier reading.

Lee Child, the author, was on a local interview yesterday. He parried the questions of Jack Reacher's physicality vs. Tom Cruise very adroitly by saying readers get a mental picture of their hero in books and any real-life portrayal will always be a jolt, but that Cruise is "such a fine actor" that he literally became Reacher inside of the first few minutes. Guess they had to find some really short bad guys for him to toss around.

Oh well. Mr. Child also seemed positively giddy at the prospect his character may become a movie franchise. Ca-Ching!

I'll see it on dvd some day. Thanks for the review.

Jeanie

Author: 1946dodge Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62156 of 63203
Subject: Re: Jack Reacher Date: 12/25/2012 11:49 PM
Recommendations: 1
I just cannot take seriously any movie with Tom Cruise, especially in a tough guy role like this. He has made such a jackass of himself in public, I just can't watch his movies. I wish they had someone else in the role.

Author: rharmelink Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62157 of 63203
Subject: Re: Jack Reacher Date: 12/25/2012 11:58 PM
Recommendations: 2
I just cannot take seriously any movie with Tom Cruise, especially in a tough guy role like this. He has made such a jackass of himself in public, I just can't watch his movies.

Just pretend that "real life" is merely another role he is playing, in another production ...

Author: halco Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62159 of 63203
Subject: Re: Jack Reacher Date: 12/26/2012 6:49 AM
Lee Child, the author, was on a local interview yesterday. He parried the questions of Jack Reacher's physicality vs. Tom Cruise very adroitly by saying readers get a mental picture of their hero in books and any real-life portrayal will always be a jolt, but that Cruise is "such a fine actor" that he literally became Reacher inside of the first few minutes. Guess they had to find some really short bad guys for him to toss around.

Child doesn't want to make the same mistake that Anne Rice did when Cruise was first cast as Lestat in IWTV and Rice was all over the place basically saying "WTF! Cruise is not Lestat!" She changed that tune soon enough when, I'm sure, the studio sat her down and said "Er, Anne, do you want any of your fans to go see this movie or do you want it to be a big fat flop?" By the time the movie came out she was praising Cruise's performance so you'd think she wrote the character with him in mind. And despite her change of heart, Cruise was, as expected, terrible in the role. Just as I'm sure he will be as Reacher. The problem isn't just his physicality, it's his whole personality. Cruise basically plays Cruise in pretty much everything he does, with little variation, because he simply doesn't have the talent or the range to do anything else. Despite that, he keeps getting roles that are out of his range. I never believed him for a second as Lestat, or as the ruthless hitman in Collateral, and I don't expect him to fair any better as Reacher. If they'd cast someone worthy, someone with real acting chops, that actor would have molded himself into Jack Reacher, who is an interesting character in the books; unfortunately what we'll get with this casting is Tom Cruise molding Jack Reacher into yet another cookie-cutter Tom Cruise character.

Personally, I've never understood the guy's appeal - he's not especially interesting or charismatic and his acting is, for the most part, bland. Or, maybe that is his appeal - he's non-threatening.

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62160 of 63203
Subject: Re: Jack Reacher Date: 12/26/2012 9:57 AM
Just as I'm sure he will be as Reacher. The problem isn't just his physicality, it's his whole personality. Cruise basically plays Cruise in pretty much everything he does, with little variation, because he simply doesn't have the talent or the range to do anything else.

Actually he was quite good in Reacher, although as you say it's a role that's right in his wheelhouse.

And while I also agree with the previous poster who has trouble seeing Cruise given his oh-so-messed-up real life, I enjoyed this one, given that I went in understanding that it's just a two-hour Hollywood-fest of action and violence. (By coincidence Mrs. Goofy and I were looking for something to watch at home and came upon "Collateral" and enjoyed that, too, even thugh it was sillier in parts and had more plot holes than a graveyard in Colombia.)

But I disagree about his range. "Eyes Wide Shut", "Jerry MacGuire", "Far and Away" and others were not bad performances by any stretch, he just prefers the more "brooding and violent" that Hollywood has in surfeit, and which succeed to such a large degree, whether he is in them or not.

Author: psuasskicker6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62161 of 63203
Subject: Re: Jack Reacher Date: 12/26/2012 9:58 AM
Despite that, he keeps getting roles that are out of his range. I never believed him for a second as Lestat, or as the ruthless hitman in Collateral, and I don't expect him to fair any better as Reacher.

I dunno...he did one helluva job with Les Grossman.

"First, take a step back... and literally F*** YOUR OWN FACE!

- C -

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62172 of 63203
Subject: Re: Jack Reacher Date: 12/29/2012 9:22 AM
Guess they had to find some really short bad guys for him to toss around.

I liked the scene where he walks into a bar and he looks to be two or thee inches taller than the crowd around him. They must of hired a bunch of short actors or had him walk on a platform.

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62173 of 63203
Subject: Re: Jack Reacher Date: 12/29/2012 12:09 PM
liked the scene where he walks into a bar and he looks to be two or thee inches taller than the crowd around him. They must of hired a bunch of short actors or had him walk on a platform.

Between "The Hobbit" and "Jack Reacher" it must have been a good year for midget character actors.

Author: LordFoolman Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62175 of 63203
Subject: Re: Jack Reacher Date: 12/30/2012 11:17 AM
I don't think Cruise is too worried about his height. What always surprises me is how when he's in public with his wife Katie Holmes, she always seems to tower over him (by a couple of inches). She's 5'9" and if you believe the reports he's 5'7". But in the some of the photos standing next to each other, she looks like she's wearing heels!! If I were Cruise, I wouldnt my wife wearing heels next to me. I'm well over 6 feet tall and once dated someone almost my height. And she'd wear these 4" heels and be over a couple inches taller than me. It was the oddest sensation to have to look up to a girl.

Author: RocketsMomma Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62176 of 63203
Subject: Re: Jack Reacher Date: 12/30/2012 5:21 PM
I remember wearing 4 inch heels once, just to see if I could. At the time, it made me somewhere between 6'2" and 6'3".

It was kind of cool, yet dangerous.

RM - awkward in spike heels

Author: alchook Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62177 of 63203
Subject: Re: Jack Reacher Date: 12/30/2012 7:00 PM
Recommendations: 7
I'm well over 6 feet tall and once dated someone almost my height. And she'd wear these 4" heels and be over a couple inches taller than me. It was the oddest sensation to have to look up to a girl.

You didn't notice her Adam's apple?

It's a dead give away.

Author: RocketsMomma Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62178 of 63203
Subject: Re: Jack Reacher Date: 12/30/2012 9:59 PM
Maybe she was wearing one of those choker collars.

RM

Author: LLRinCO Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62180 of 63203
Subject: Re: Jack Reacher Date: 12/31/2012 12:59 AM
When they got divorced, Nicole Kidman said that she was excited as she was able to wear heels again. I took that to mean that she wasn't allowed to be taller than Tom.

Author: alchook Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62181 of 63203
Subject: Re: Jack Reacher Date: 12/31/2012 9:06 AM
Maybe she was wearing one of those choker collars.

If I had a dollar for every time I fell for that one!

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62310 of 63203
Subject: Re: Jack Reacher Date: 2/2/2013 3:44 PM
I went to this movie yesterday with low expectations, but the fact that Cruise is shorter than the Reacher in the books didn't really hurt the movie. I thought he captured the essence of the character very well, and even though it's been a couple years since I read the book, it seems like they were fairly faithful. More so than the terrible job they did with Shooter a few years back.

It's not an action movie; it's more like a private detective movie with some occasional acting. The process of solving the crime is intriguing and Reacher sleuths some stuff out in very clever ways. The only thing that was really awkward was when Cruise and Rosamund Pike were in the office with the big windows discussing crucial aspects of the crime. It's an intense scene, but while the crucial dialog is being spoken, her boobs were exploding out of her blouse. I love boobies as much any man except maybe for Al Bundy, but this was distracting in a way that did not serve the plot.

Anyway, I thought overall, it was well done.

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62311 of 63203
Subject: Re: Jack Reacher Date: 2/4/2013 4:16 PM
Whoops, make that "occasional action"! The acting was fine.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement