UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (36) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: imdajunkman Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35400  
Subject: Re: Bond study Project; selecting a company Date: 9/1/2006 12:00 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Jack,

The following is just a couple quick commnets, not a deeply considered position:

What we need to agree on is a company that is well known and trades publicly on the NASDAQ or NYSE.

Why are you excluding the AMEX? And why the insistence on "well-known"? As long as the company is trading above $5 and is up to date in its filings with the SEC, that's good enough for me.

Here are my thoughts on a rough draft syllabus:
Create a profile overview for the company.

I'd suggest that, first, a profile for the industry has to be created. Understand the industry, and you can benchmark the companies.

Study the quality of the company, their character, their tone, etc.

The typical way those kinds of subjectives are determined is through on-site inspections and interviews with management, which are beyond the abilities of most of us and which some very good analysts think are a total distraction and waste of time.

Study the fundamentals, about 10 years back is nice.

Five years is plenty, especially if good comparatives are done with its peers.

Pricing strategies(including managing risk using price)

Buy cheap, cheap, cheap.

screening strategies (might be difficult with multiple platforms)

Are you talking about conventional ratio analysis?

trading and holding criteria (including risk management)

For all practical purposes, bonds can't be traded. So don't even mention the word, which isn't to say that a stop shouldn't be set and honored if things detriorate that far (or a hedge put on).

You say: I use the same process for bonds and equity, the journey and/or my portfolio guiding principles will dictate which is the prefered asset. I totally agree. It's the underlying company as it reveals itself within the context of its industry that matters. Going with the debt or the common (or both) is a very later decision.

Charlie
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (36) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement