Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Jack, TMFTaxes, William, et al:

Thanks for your insights. I'm afraid I may not have phrased the question quite properly. Here's my situation:

My mother loaned me $10,000 2 years ago for me to "play the stockmarket". Neither she nor I saw this as a gift to me. In the past 2 years that $10,000 has grown to about $17,000. My problem is that I put that $10,000 with some other money that has always belonged to me and I now have shares of DELL and MSFT in my portfolio that I do not want to sell, ie do not want to pay taxes on. However, I am on margin, and if I give back the $10,000 or $17,000 to my mother in shares of stock I'm afraid to get a margin call (or at the least be way out on margin).

Therefore, I would like to transfer as much of the margin debt over to my mother's account.

I've tried getting an answer from my broker, no luck. TMFTaxes, I also tried hunting around the Tax School area, also couldn't quite figure it out.


Thanks as always for your help.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.