No. of Recommendations: 1
jackcrow,

You wrote, You may want to internet search 5+ years into their past. IIRC this company blew itself up before everyone else did. I don't remember when they filed ch 11.

I don't think MetLife has filed bankruptcy - at least not during my adult life.

BTW, MetLife recently became the #1 reverse mortgage lender by buying Lehman's reverse mortgage portfolio out of bankruptcy. I believe the deal paid Lehman Holdings 81 cents on the dollar.

Reverse mortgages are certainly risky, but I don't think you can reverse mortgage a home at 100% of FMV, the effective rate charged is usually higher than a conventional mortgage and PMI is mandatory. Between all that and the discount they received from Lehman's, the deal was likely a fair value for MetLife.

- Joel
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement