Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

Unless I read the original post wrong, this isn't a mortgage, it's a personal loan. The interest which the child pays to the parent in exchange for the parent lending the child the money is income to the parent. Unfortunately, the child cannot deduct the interest since, I assume, the loan is a personal loan and not associated with any business or investment purpose.

It's no different than when you "lend" money to a bank by opening a savings account. The interest they pay you for the privilege of using your money is taxable to you and is reported on a Form 1099.

I just checked the instructions for Form 1099-INT and the child does not have to issue a 1099 to his parents. But the interest is still income which should be reported on their return.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.