UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: 1HappyFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 741024  
Subject: Re: Let's debate Social Security Options Date: 3/29/2000 11:23 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
JAFO31:
Stuck with the reality or stock with the sales theory? Keep which from getting worse. I firmly beleive that we would be better off to ditch the "sales" lie and admit the reality -- SS is a wealth transfer program and is there to assist those who need it.

Merely admitting reality does nothing. What would you change? What would you recommend? Would you recommend we all sit around and admit reality? Would you recommend we enforce a savings program for those who don't save? Would you change it from a payroll tax to an income tax? As a payroll tax it is an insurance program, albeit severely warped from the start. Would you raise or lower the caps, taxes, ages? Are you advocating the expansion of the welfare state or trying to decrease it? Would you make someone pay in who was never going to receive a benefit? Simply poo-pooing my recommendation to keep it from getting worse does absolutely nothing and that is part of the problem. Too many people don't try to keep it from getting worse while a few vocal vote panderers are actively running it broke and screaming for more. I'm not being contentious, I'm just pointing out that you're not advocating anything meaningful. You point out some possibilities, but don't connect them to a brighter future. In plain language, recommend something and please draw a line from there to how the situation will get better. If you can't do that, then we're stuck with trying to keep things from getting worse. As I stated, I don't know the answer. I'm not going to turn down my SS checks (if I ever get any) because I've earned them by paying the "premiums" of the system. IMO, Bill Gates should not turn down his. Nothing was ever said about means testing while Bill or I was paying in. We should be grandfathered from any means testing while we're receiving.

1HappyFool
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Ubiquiti Analysis
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement