No. of Recommendations: 0
James - I'm a little surprised you have a TSA as a gov't employee; it's usually for non-profit & public school employees. State & munucipal employees often have access to a "Deferred Compensation Plan" under Section 457 of the tax code...

Regardless, the rules for TSA's allow you to keep your individual contract as long as you like. You may make partial transfers to an IRA if you prefer. The important "triggering" event to allow transfer is your separation from service. Watch for surrender penalties imposed by the TSA issuer, however! The advantage of keeping the TSA account is your ability to borrow (rather than only withdraw) from the account. This may provide additional flexibility & IRA's do not permit loans.

Good luck & best wishes, PP
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.