Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (34) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 13231  
Subject: January Birchbox Date: 1/17/2013 5:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Well, this one had a couplafew disappointments in it, but if I get ONE satisfying experience, I'll be happy.

This box is supposedly free for me because of the non-delivery of the last one. I'm watching my bank account....

Eyeko | Skinny Liquid Eyeliner

For obvious reasons if you know me, I'm not doing eye makeup for the near future. And this one is black anyway, which I can't do with my blonde/redhead complexion. So I gave it to a coworker who is going to report back.

Harvey Prince | Ageless
This is a scent that is "designed to make you feel more youthful." I'll say! It smells like what used to come in my play makeup kits when I was 10. To say I hate the scent is an understatement. But then, I'm old. I offered it in the lunchroom to coworkers and two of them both loved it.

My | Multi-Purpose Mattifying Moisturizer

This is the one that shows promise. I love the idea of it. It's a moisturizer that "gives skin a velvety matte finish that lasts all day." Right up my alley because I don't wear makeup often. I put it on before lunch and haven't checked the mirror yet, but it feels like it's working.

Oscar Blandi | Hair Lift Thickening Mousse

"delivers intense body while tamping down frizz."

Well, I'm not one for more than shampoo and conditioner, but I'll give it a whirl. I could use some plumping in the hair department.

BEAUTY EXTRA
Oscar Blandi |
Olio di Jasmine Hair Serum.
Ditto.

MOI
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: LCKitten Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13094 of 13231
Subject: Re: January Birchbox Date: 1/18/2013 1:26 PM
Juicy Couture - Viva La Juicy - I'm not much a one for perfume, but I like this one

My Multi-Purpose Mattifying Moisturizer - this stuff is pretty good. I went ahead and bought a full-size tube

Frownies Eye Gels -- you keep these in the fridge and use for de-puffing. I'll definitely try these out

Frownies Rose Water Hydrator Spray - to reactivate the eye gels for re-use

theBalm cosmetics Put a Lid On It -- eyeshadow primer. I'm going to try it out, even though this company is totally ripping off BeneFit's look & feel.

Good month!

Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13095 of 13231
Subject: Re: January Birchbox Date: 1/18/2013 1:29 PM
Frownies Eye Gels -- you keep these in the fridge and use for de-puffing. I'll definitely try these out

I had these last month. I really liked them, but when I went to buy them I couldn't find them. Going to try their website.

MOI

Author: karenfiftyone Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13096 of 13231
Subject: Re: January Birchbox Date: 1/18/2013 3:28 PM
Harvey Prince Ageless - Pink Grapefruit - I haven't even sniffed this one. I am just not a perfume wearer, which is sad because I seem to get it every month

My™ Multi-Purpose Mattifying Moisturizer - This is nice, but I preferred the DDF moisturizer I got several months ago. It's $80 for a tube and I'm actually considering buying it. What stops me is knowing that Oil of Olay is probably going to feel just as good.

Kérastase Nutritive Nectar Thermique - Protect - This is for blowdrying hair. I scoff at these things, but this actually seems to work.

alessandro Cream Rich hand lotion - Nice, but it's just lotion.

Lashem Double Trouble Mascara - This is the cutest sample size EVER. I am saving this and another mascara I got until I throw away my current perfectly good Maybelline.

Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13097 of 13231
Subject: Re: January Birchbox Date: 1/19/2013 4:57 AM
hey - look
Balloons!

peace & send me your pink grapefruit
t

Author: karenfiftyone Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13098 of 13231
Subject: Re: January Birchbox Date: 1/19/2013 3:22 PM
I almost missed it!

Thanks,

Author: SmrtAss Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13099 of 13231
Subject: Re: January Birchbox Date: 1/20/2013 3:50 PM
Recommendations: 1

Frownies Rose Water Hydrator Spray - to reactivate the eye gels for re-use

I absolutely love the Frownies Eye Gels! This was last month for me, too. Hoping to be able to buy some.

I did not, however, receive the hydrator spray in my box that would reactivate the gel. This gives me a frownie. :(

I am using my Frownies for the third time right this minute (still good without the reactivating spray. Probably my last usage).

Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13100 of 13231
Subject: Re: January Birchbox Date: 1/20/2013 4:50 PM
I did not, however, receive the hydrator spray in my box that would reactivate the gel. This gives me a frownie. :(

Yeah, I didn't either. I was jealous!

MOI

Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13101 of 13231
Subject: Re: January Birchbox Date: 1/21/2013 1:55 AM
so- do they really work?
Full product review requested form "real" imaginary people, not just unknown imaginary people on AMaazon...

I have seen Frownies (online etc) - and as someone who seldom sleeps properly and travels frequently I would kill for something that actually worked.
- how long does it take to use them? is it a 5-10-15 minute thing?
- does it do anything for bags & dark circle diminishment? or just puffiness?

peace & anything
t

Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13102 of 13231
Subject: Re: January Birchbox Date: 1/21/2013 11:25 AM
so- do they really work?
Full product review requested form "real" imaginary people, not just unknown imaginary people on AMaazon...

I have seen Frownies (online etc) - and as someone who seldom sleeps properly and travels frequently I would kill for something that actually worked.
- how long does it take to use them? is it a 5-10-15 minute thing?
- does it do anything for bags & dark circle diminishment? or just puffiness?

They recommend a half an hour. Personally, I was having eye problems at the time and I didn't care about the cosmetic aspect. I was looking for something soothing that would calm my itching.

For that, they were perfect.

I did feel like they did something to the bags and wrinkles, but I didn't take note in the mirror. But the skin felt smoother.

Sorry that's not much help.

MOI

Author: SmrtAss Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13103 of 13231
Subject: Re: January Birchbox Date: 1/21/2013 12:22 PM
I've used them 3 times (without replenishing with more liquid) and it seemed to relieve puffiness. Under eye area seemed smoother, if only temporarily. I'd like to try more.

There is also a product from a few months ago that I really like. DDF Wrinkle Resist Plus Pore Minimizer. I've only used it a couple of times, but it feels great on the skin.

The perfumes & mascaras don't interest me. I seem to be allergic to something in expensive mascara. Maybelline Ultra Lash is what works for me. I need to change my settings.

Author: LCKitten Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13104 of 13231
Subject: Re: January Birchbox Date: 1/21/2013 12:37 PM
Recommendations: 4
Birchbox needs to let you specify if you want ONLY skincare stuff or ONLY cosmetics or if you want a mix. I'd probably opt for only skincare stuff.

Author: karenfiftyone Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13105 of 13231
Subject: Re: January Birchbox Date: 1/22/2013 10:32 AM
I just want to be able to turn off the perfume. I've liked the mix of hair and skin stuff otherwise.

I ended up buying the DDF. I had a 20% code and $10 off in points, which made it slightly less ridiculously expensive.

Author: whafa Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13106 of 13231
Subject: Re: January Birchbox Date: 1/22/2013 10:36 AM
Is this birch box thing something my lady friend might enjoy as a gift?

Author: chgojmg Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13107 of 13231
Subject: Re: January Birchbox Date: 1/22/2013 11:31 AM
I haven't received mine yet due to a shipping issue but they did give me 100 points for the trouble.

I had the frownies last box too and I really liked them. Would I use them all the time? No, but they are great for depuffing and fine lines for a special occasion or if you are going out that night.

-jacalyn
hopefully will get the January birchbox this week.

-jacalyn

Author: chgojmg Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13108 of 13231
Subject: Re: January Birchbox Date: 1/22/2013 11:33 AM

I received my first 3 boxes as a gift and I have been a subscriber as a gift. If she likes trying new products and getting new things every month, then yes, I suggest it.

-jacalyn
every month is a little like christmas

Author: LCKitten Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13109 of 13231
Subject: Re: January Birchbox Date: 1/22/2013 12:18 PM
Recommendations: 3
Yeah, I'd probably phrase it more in a "I thought you'd like a little box of surprises" kind of way rather than "I thought you'd like to start wearing more makeup/taking care of your skin" kind of way.

Author: WasPokey Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13110 of 13231
Subject: Re: January Birchbox Date: 1/22/2013 12:20 PM
Recommendations: 2
I think Waffle can totally get away with it. It is a totally metrosexual gift for a guy to give his girlfriend.

Author: whafa Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13111 of 13231
Subject: Re: January Birchbox Date: 1/22/2013 12:22 PM
Yeah, I'd probably phrase it more in a "I thought you'd like a little box of surprises" kind of way rather than "I thought you'd like to start wearing more makeup/taking care of your skin" kind of way.

This is not my first rodeo!

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13112 of 13231
Subject: Re: January Birchbox Date: 1/22/2013 12:40 PM

I got my wife 6 months' worth for Xmas. The shampoo leaked all over the contents in the first box, and so it wasn't the most impressive start. But they extended her subscription an extra month to make up for it. She just got her second box and seems to like the idea. The best part is, the bonus box will show up during the month of our anniversary, and so I don't have to worry about an anniversary gift. Score!!

Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13113 of 13231
Subject: Re: January Birchbox Date: 1/22/2013 1:17 PM
Recommendations: 4
The best part is, the bonus box will show up during the month of our anniversary, and so I don't have to worry about an anniversary gift. Score!!

You might want to rethink this....

Just sayin.

MOI

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13114 of 13231
Subject: Re: January Birchbox Date: 1/23/2013 12:19 PM
The best part is, the bonus box will show up during the month of our anniversary, and so I don't have to worry about an anniversary gift. Score!!

-----
You might want to rethink this....

Just sayin.

OMG, you're totally right. I miscalculated. The bonus box will arrive a month before our anniversary. I'd better add one more box to the subscription!!!!

Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13115 of 13231
Subject: Re: January Birchbox Date: 1/23/2013 12:31 PM
OMG, you're totally right. I miscalculated. The bonus box will arrive a month before our anniversary. I'd better add one more box to the subscription!!!!

I see what you did there.

:)
MOI

Author: SmrtAss Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13116 of 13231
Subject: Re: January Birchbox Date: 1/24/2013 2:42 PM
I ended up buying the DDF. I had a 20% code and $10 off in points, which made it slightly less ridiculously expensive.

I made my first purchase of full sized products, using 20% off code for my six month anniversary.

I ordered the Dr. Jart+ Water Fuse Beauty Balm SPF 25 - it's a tinted moisturizer. Light. It came in my August Birchbox.
http://www.birchbox.com/shop/dr-jart-beauty-balm-water-fuse-...

I also ordered the Frownies eye gels (3 pairs in the pack) as well as the hydrating rose water.

The temptation to order the DDF Wrinkle Resist Pore Minimizer was strong, but I found it on Amazon for $57.55 which was a better price even with the 20% discount (I don't have enough points yet). So I did order the full size, just not through Birchbox.

Trying out the samples is really very excellent. Thanks for posting about it!

Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13117 of 13231
Subject: Re: January Birchbox Date: 1/24/2013 3:10 PM
Frownies eye gels

I wonder what the TSA stance on these is...

peace & gels
t

Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13118 of 13231
Subject: Re: January Birchbox Date: 1/24/2013 3:19 PM
Frownies eye gels

I wonder what the TSA stance on these is...

Undoubtedly a frownie face.

:(

MOI

Author: chgojmg Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13119 of 13231
Subject: Re: January Birchbox Date: 1/25/2013 10:59 AM
OK, I finally got the January box.

Clark's Botanicals Smoothing Marine Cream - I will try
Kérastase Masque Chroma Riche conditioner - I bought the Amika hair mask last month and I now have too much conditioner.
theBalm® cosmetics Put a Lid On It™ - never used an eye primer,
Harvey Prince Skinny Chic - eh not my scent
Frownies® Rose Water Hydrator Spray - I got the frownies last month, so i will try it. this might make me buy frownies

All in all, a little disappointed. Reason being, I bought a couple things from the store so I wish they would take that in consideration and not ship me more of the same type of products.

Also, since I bought the Amika hair mask, they gave me 2 free mini hair straighteners. They would never work for my hair besides bangs or little pieces, but if anyone wants one, email me. I can ship you the Kerastase hair conditioner sample too if you want.

Also this week, John Frieda send me a full size conditioner of a new product. I am a wash with hair conditioner! I might use it for shaving cream.

-jacalyn

Author: whafa Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13121 of 13231
Subject: Re: January Birchbox Date: 1/25/2013 11:26 AM
I ordered a 6 month subscription for her. The first one ships on the 29th.

Author: LCKitten Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13122 of 13231
Subject: Re: January Birchbox Date: 1/25/2013 12:08 PM
Oh, that's sweet. Did you tell her or will it be a surprise?

Author: whafa Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13123 of 13231
Subject: Re: January Birchbox Date: 1/25/2013 12:19 PM
She'll get an email from them when it ships. Nice website. Good workflow and UI.

Author: LCKitten Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13124 of 13231
Subject: Re: January Birchbox Date: 1/25/2013 12:21 PM
She'll get an email from them when it ships. Nice website. Good workflow and UI.

I've had issues with it -- like when I wanted to buy this one thing but they had forgotten to add a "Put in my Cart" button to the page.

Author: whafa Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13125 of 13231
Subject: Re: January Birchbox Date: 1/25/2013 2:55 PM
I've had issues with it -- like when I wanted to buy this one thing but they had forgotten to add a "Put in my Cart" button to the page.

Oh, well, they probably put most of their effort into attracting new subscribers. I haven't taken a deep dive into the site yet.

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13126 of 13231
Subject: Re: January Birchbox Date: 1/25/2013 4:34 PM

Maybe they figured you'd bought enough.

Author: whafa Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13127 of 13231
Subject: Re: January Birchbox Date: 1/29/2013 10:11 AM
She is pleased. Apparently it's a pretty popular thing.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (34) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement