UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 65973  
Subject: Java, Flash, and making your Mac secure Date: 1/13/2013 4:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
I've just written a blog post about this.

I think readers here will find it useful.

http://www.yourmacexpert.com/blog/2013/01/13/keeping-your-ma...

Please let me know if you spot any errors or oversights.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: wecoguy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62004 of 65973
Subject: Re: Java, Flash, and making your Mac secure Date: 1/13/2013 5:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Apparently Java or JavaScript has to be enabled to test for Flash installation/version... I had disabled both, didn't see the Flash version until I enabled it.. But I do get the "Plugin Blocked" at the Java test site...

Not meant to be... Disabled Java again...

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62006 of 65973
Subject: Re: Java, Flash, and making your Mac secure Date: 1/13/2013 5:27 PM
Cool. I will check that on the Macbook as soon as it is available to me.

Went ahead and disabled Java on my Win7 box too. Don't think I ever used it anyway. When I went to the Adobe site you linked a banner popped us asking me to give permission to run Java. I never see that on my home box (though I see it at work all the time), so I'm assuming I never needed it at home before. Disabled the plugin anyway.

1poorguy

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62008 of 65973
Subject: Re: Java, Flash, and making your Mac secure Date: 1/13/2013 10:54 PM
Probably a stupid question, but how do you distinguish between Java and JavaScript? As near as I can tell, based on your links, Java isn't on the Macbook outside of the browser (the test says "inactive plug-in", not an "error message" as the text said I should expect). When I search for "javaappletplugin.plugin" I find nothing (no results). I do, however, have "Java Preferences".

On my Win7 box I verified that Java is not an installed program, though within the browser there are some things that want to run Java (script, I assume)...just today when I went to do a survey, for example.

1poorguy

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62025 of 65973
Subject: Re: Java, Flash, and making your Mac secure Date: 1/14/2013 10:47 PM
Probably a stupid question, but how do you distinguish between Java and JavaScript?

I don't understand the question. Remember that I said that they are two different things, despite the similar names.

I can give you a technical explanation of how they differ, but I'm not sure what the point is?

As a user, the easy way to distinguish between the two is this: If you have Java disabled, it doesn't run, but JavaScript still does.

By the way, Java apps can run in the browser, or as standalone apps on a Mac or Windows PC.

JavaScript runs only in the browser.

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62027 of 65973
Subject: Re: Java, Flash, and making your Mac secure Date: 1/14/2013 11:21 PM
I don't understand the question.

It's probably too basic for what you are thinking. If I'm looking at my machine, how do I know what is the javascript and what is a plug-in for the browser? They behave basically the same, yes? The names are the same. I want to kill one, and preserve the other.

Of course Gordon's link (if he posts it) may answer my question. I think I have it, but I want to be sure. Java was one of those things I never thought about before, and until this thread I had no idea it was different from javascript. (It usually requires events like these before I learn something new about my computer(s). It's years of stuff like this that has me knowing what I do. If it works, I don't generally think about 'how'. When there's a problem, I have to learn more.)

1poorguy

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62037 of 65973
Subject: Re: Java, Flash, and making your Mac secure Date: 1/15/2013 12:56 PM
Recommendations: 2
It's probably too basic for what you are thinking. If I'm looking at my machine, how do I know what is the javascript and what is a plug-in for the browser?

JavaScript is built-in to the browser. It isn't a plugin. If you have multiple different browsers installed (Safari, Firefox, Chrome), then each has its own version of JavaScript built-in.

They behave basically the same, yes?

No. Javascript is a language for programming browser behavior and page rendering. Java is a language for writing apps. Many Java apps are designed to run within a browser, but Java apps can run on the desktop.

For example, if you use the Crashplan remote backup service, the Crashplan app is a Java app.

The names are the same.

The names are similar, but not the same. Consider that "lightning" and "lightning bug" are similar, but being hit in the head by the former is considerably more unpleasant than being hit in the head with the latter.

If you search with Google, you can find many pages explaining how Java and Javascript differ. Here's one example: http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/java_javascript.xml
(Note that page says they "require different plugins." In fact, Javascript doesn't require any plugin; it's built-in to all modern browsers.)

I'm having trouble coming up with an explanation that is understandable to a lay person. If you want to get technical, then I suggest you read the relevant Wikipedia articles:
Javascript: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JavaScript
Java (programming language): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_(programming_language)

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement