UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMBFAverageJoe Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 191487  
Subject: Java uninstall Date: 1/16/2013 1:40 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
In view of the security warnings about Java v7, I was trying to uninstall it via Add/Remove Programs, but got this pop-up:

The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.

Revo Uninstaller ran up the same dead-end street. Googling the error came up with recommendations, but no solutions. Would it disable Java if I changed the file name in C:/Programs?

~aj
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Kurtv Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183386 of 191487
Subject: Re: Java uninstall Date: 1/16/2013 6:09 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
aj,

Not sure about your problem but the latest update, Version 7 Update 11 fixes the most recent security issues...

its been available for a few days now.

http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp

Kurt
ps- enjoyed your latest puzzle :-)

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183391 of 191487
Subject: Re: Java uninstall Date: 1/16/2013 2:33 PM
Recommendations: 2
the latest update, Version 7 Update 11 fixes the most recent security issues...

It fixes last week's issues, but it seems there's already may be another one!

This article says a hacker has announced a new zero day vulnerability, but considering the source is a black-hat hacker, we can't be sure if it's true: http://www.informationweek.com/security/attacks/another-java...

Author: tketola Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183397 of 191487
Subject: Re: Java uninstall Date: 1/16/2013 5:06 PM
Recommendations: 1
Hey aj,,,

Yes, you can Rename it or you can just Delete the Java sub-directory, under C:/Program Files and/or in C:/Program Files(x86), depending on your OS.

Also, if the Delete, says it's too big for the Recycle Bin, you can delete the Java's sub-directories one by one.

After deleting it, I would also run CCleaner-->Registry-Cleaner, to clean out any Java leftover garbage/Keys. Allow the Registry Cleaner to make the Backup File of the Registry.

One other thing, you might want to check the
C:/Users/[Your-Id]/AppData/Roaming, to check for any Java Sub-Directories, and delete them if there are any.

TK...

Author: TMBFAverageJoe Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183402 of 191487
Subject: Re: Java uninstall Date: 1/16/2013 8:04 PM
#@$@%^* Windows!!
It won't allow me to delete the sub-files. Delete and Rename attempts both result in an "Access denied" notice.

~aj

Author: tketola Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183404 of 191487
Subject: Re: Java uninstall Date: 1/16/2013 8:27 PM
Hey aj,,,,

Are you logged in as an administrator???

If not, log in as an administrator,,,

TK...

Author: grouse100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183405 of 191487
Subject: Re: Java uninstall Date: 1/16/2013 8:36 PM
Try it in safe mode

Author: Matt1344 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183406 of 191487
Subject: Re: Java uninstall Date: 1/16/2013 8:45 PM
"Delete and Rename attempts both result in an "Access denied" notice."

Hey aj,

I don't recall if you've updated to Windows 7 or still on XP...

I've had some denied permission notices for one of my programs which I have to install with each new version, Fidelity ATP software, IF you're running Win 7 you might try the following:

Click Start => type "change", without the quotes, in the search window(cursor should be there) then click on Change User Account Control Settings

Move the slider down to the bottom if its not there already.

Click on [ OK ].

You'll have to do a Restart.

If that works, or not, reset the permission level back to the the desired level.

Sorry, no guarantees... total shot in the dark!

Regards, Ken

Author: TMBFAverageJoe Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183419 of 191487
Subject: Re: Java uninstall Date: 1/18/2013 2:05 AM
Thanks for all the pointers, but still no success. All attempts
to delete, rename or uninstall, including those in safe mode wind
up in the same cul-de-sac.

The good news is that I'm still with JRE7-U7, and as I understand
it the big security issue is with 7-U10.

~aj

Author: geocarw Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183431 of 191487
Subject: Re: Java uninstall Date: 1/18/2013 9:46 PM
Recommendations: 1
Thanks for all the pointers, but still no success. All attempts
to delete, rename or uninstall, including those in safe mode wind
up in the same cul-de-sac.

The good news is that I'm still with JRE7-U7, and as I understand
it the big security issue is with 7-U10.

~aj

Try this 'How to Quickly and Easily Update or Remove Java in Windows'.
https://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-quickly-and-eas...

George

Author: TMBFAverageJoe Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183433 of 191487
Subject: Re: Java uninstall Date: 1/19/2013 2:49 AM
Thanks George, but...

I downloaded and installed the program, then went about uninstalling Java.
It told me the uninstall was complete, 335 files removed. I proceeded to
the next step and tried installing the latest version. The attempt was
rejected with "extreme prejudice", and I was informed that "a newer version
is already installed."

I went and looked in the Program files, and SAS, there it was, as before.
So the uninstaller lied when it said the uninstall was complete.
Too late to pursue it now, I'll mess with it tomorrow.

Thanks for the offer of help just the same.

~aj

Author: geocarw Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183435 of 191487
Subject: Re: Java uninstall Date: 1/19/2013 3:29 PM
So the uninstaller lied when it said the uninstall was complete.
Too late to pursue it now, I'll mess with it tomorrow.

Thanks for the offer of help just the same.

Good luck to you. FWIW I uninstalled Java via add/remove first and this to remove the Java Deployment Toolkit plugin from Firefox http://www.ghacks.net/2010/04/25/how-to-remove-the-java-depl...

Run JavaRa as follows:
o Start JavaRa > click green icon 'Update JavaRa Definitions'; when complete, click 'Download' button. After d/l, click 'Back' button.

o Click blue icon 'Remove Java Runtime':
Step 1 - run the uninstaller, (in my case said 'No uninstaller found. Please press 'next' to continue'. I Did.

Step 2 - perform removal routine Click 'Perform...' button. When removal complete, click Next.

Step 3 - download new version You can click the 'Java Manual Download link' or click the 'Download' button which will download and install the latest version of JRE. Click Next.

Step 4 - completed. Select an option and click Finish.

The complete removal of Java was my goal but I clicked (fat fingers) the download button in Step 3. The result was the install of the latest JRE so I had to repeat the process.

George

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement