UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (27) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Tuni Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 65291  
Subject: Java Warning Date: 1/11/2013 7:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Based on this warning via HWTSC Board from Homeland Security are any of you removing Java from your Macs - do any of you use it on your Macs?

http://boards.fool.com/us-warns-on-java-software-security-co...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61970 of 65291
Subject: Re: Java Warning Date: 1/11/2013 8:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Not me.

If you are worried disable JAVA. I actually removed it in the last panic. After I wanted JAVA back, I learned returning JAVA means reinstalling the OS.

gordon

Author: tedhimself Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61971 of 65291
Subject: Re: Java Warning Date: 1/11/2013 8:42 PM
I have Java on my Mac.I'm wanting to learn more about the risks.

Author: JohnMMM Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61972 of 65291
Subject: Re: Java Warning Date: 1/11/2013 9:38 PM
IIRC it is not Java itself that is insecure, but the Java plugin for browsers.

J

Author: awlabrador Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61973 of 65291
Subject: Re: Java Warning Date: 1/11/2013 11:47 PM
I use actively Java on my Macs and other machines, but I'm pretty atypical.

-awlabrador

Author: hookemfins Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61974 of 65291
Subject: Re: Java Warning Date: 1/12/2013 12:28 AM
According to macrumors, apple is blocking java plugin.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/11/apple-blocks-java-7-on-o...

Author: captainccs Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools 10+ Year Anniversary! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61975 of 65291
Subject: Re: Java Warning Date: 1/12/2013 9:48 AM
I have Java turned off. Unless you use Java apps regularly you might as well turn it off.

Denny Schlesinger

Author: HMALETTER Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61976 of 65291
Subject: Re: Java Warning Date: 1/12/2013 9:51 AM
The two most crash-prone and nastiest things in our computer world are Flash and Java. Unfortunately, it takes time to replace them or fix them. In Adobe's case, they have almost given up with Flash.

Author: captainccs Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools 10+ Year Anniversary! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61978 of 65291
Subject: Re: Java Warning Date: 1/12/2013 2:18 PM
Oracle Corp to fix Java security flaw "shortly"
By Jim Finkle | Reuters – 1 hr 0 mins ago

BOSTON (Reuters) - Oracle Corp said it is preparing an update to address a flaw in its widely used Java software after the U.S. Department of Homeland Security urged computer users to disable the program in web browsers because criminal hackers are exploiting a security bug to attack PCs.

"A fix will be available shortly," the company said in a statement released late on Friday

http://news.yahoo.com/oracle-corp-fix-java-security-flaw-sho...

Denny Schlesinger

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61979 of 65291
Subject: Re: Java Warning Date: 1/12/2013 3:24 PM
I have Java turned off. Unless you use Java apps regularly you might as well turn it off.

Denny Schlesinger

>>>>>>>

I have an iPad and turned it off this morning, however, I can't read my Yahoo Mail unless I have java......argh!

Author: FlyingDiver Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61980 of 65291
Subject: Re: Java Warning Date: 1/12/2013 3:56 PM
Recommendations: 5
I have an iPad and turned it off this morning, however, I can't read my Yahoo Mail unless I have java......argh!

Did you turn off Java or JavaScript? Not the same thing, and I don't think the iPad has Java anyway. If it was JavaScript, turn it back on. It's not effected by the advisory.

Author: LorenCobb Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61981 of 65291
Subject: Re: Java Warning Date: 1/12/2013 5:32 PM

That is my understanding too.

Firefox has just released a new version (18.0.0) which fixes this security gap. Other browsers have yet to respond, AFAIK.

Loren

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61983 of 65291
Subject: Re: Java Warning Date: 1/12/2013 7:14 PM
I have an iPad and turned it off this morning…

That's not possible, since iPads don't (and cannot) run Java. You can't turn Java off if it's not even installed!

You probably turned off Javascript.

I know it's confusing, but Javascript is NOT Java, and the current problem isn't related to Javascript.

SJK
(Who has neither Java nor Flash installed on his Mac.)

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61984 of 65291
Subject: Re: Java Warning Date: 1/12/2013 7:16 PM
After I wanted JAVA back, I learned returning JAVA means reinstalling the OS.

No, it doesn't.

In fact, Apple no longer develops Java for Mac. Oracle has taken over that responsibility.

(What do you use that actually requires Java?)

Author: Follydolly Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61985 of 65291
Subject: Re: Java Warning Date: 1/12/2013 7:16 PM
I just looked. I had Java unchecked (checked it back) and JavaScript has been checked all along, because I thought it was Java we were supposed to turn off. Sheesh! Whatever, I have had no problems in any case.

Birgit

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61986 of 65291
Subject: Re: Java Warning Date: 1/12/2013 9:04 PM

Apple is only disabling the plugin, but the bug affects all Java, not just the plugin.

It's more likely to strike in the plugin, since the plugin runs Java code on any website you visit.

But if you were tricked into downloading a trojan horse Java app, and run it using the JRE (Java Runtime Environment), it could exploit the same security flaw.

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61987 of 65291
Subject: Re: Java Warning Date: 1/12/2013 9:06 PM
I just looked. I had Java unchecked (checked it back) and JavaScript has been checked all along, because I thought it was Java we were supposed to turn off.

You just made things worse.

Repeat after me: Java is evil, JavaScript is good!

Disable Java, enable JavaScript. Then don't futz with things!

Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61988 of 65291
Subject: Re: Java Warning Date: 1/12/2013 10:15 PM
Steven I like to play the Puzzle by Average Joe on the Humor board. That is the only thing I use JAVA for.

Regarding removal - I may have done it poorly, but I did end up having to re-install the OS. I did not disable JAVA in preferences, instead I deleted some file(s). I could not get it to install - I do not recall the specifics. At that point I contacted Applecare and they worked for a while - finally saying boot from the recovery partition and re-install the OS.

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: awlabrador Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61990 of 65291
Subject: Re: Java Warning Date: 1/12/2013 11:07 PM
Java is evil

Well, for me, Java is a necessary evil. Some of my lab equipment (commercially purchased) is driven only by cross-platform Java code, and I don't have the time or resources to roll my own software for it. It's not browser-based, though, not the one I'm thinking about, anyway.

And I keep Java in Safari turned off as much as possible.

-awlabrador

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61994 of 65291
Subject: Re: Java Warning Date: 1/13/2013 11:09 AM
Just out of curiosity, were you trying to reinstall Apple's Java, or Oracle's?

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61995 of 65291
Subject: Re: Java Warning Date: 1/13/2013 11:13 AM
Well, for me, Java is a necessary evil.

For which you have my sympathies.

I recently bought an app, and only after my purchase did I discover that it required Java. I'm going to ask for my money back.

Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62001 of 65291
Subject: Re: Java Warning Date: 1/13/2013 2:44 PM
Both actually. I don't recall which I tried first.

Gordon

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62005 of 65291
Subject: Re: Java Warning Date: 1/13/2013 5:09 PM
I'm not entirely clear on this.

Our Macbook shows both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of SE 6 (vendor: "Apple"). Version 1.6.0_37-b06-434. Unless Apple updated it this is original (because I have never had cause to even look at Java before). Each has a check box next to it in "Java Preferences", but the "enable applet plug-in and Web Start applications" check box is NOT checked.

Should I uncheck those other two boxes?

Checking the security tab there are various boxes checked, and many not checked. It does appear Java Console is not loading.

Mostly Google Chrome is being used on the Macbook.

1poorguy

Author: awlabrador Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62011 of 65291
Subject: Re: Java Warning Date: 1/14/2013 12:15 AM
> Well, for me, Java is a necessary evil.

For which you have my sympathies.

I recently bought an app, and only after my purchase did I discover that it required Java. I'm going to ask for my money back.

One of the side effects of Apple being seen as a consumer company with a miniscule pro user base is that pro hardware and software providers -- at least those for whom I am a customer -- end up being less motivated to provide Mac-specific products.

Because of that, I'm grateful for this particular company providing a Java-based application to go with their hardware. Also, I can run it via Linux and Windows, which insulates my Mac in times of Java security holes.

(Of course, I'd be happier if Apple exhibited more interest in pro users and convinced other companies of their support, but we'll see what 2013 brings... See other threads in which I admit I'm forced to use Dells in the lab...)

-awlabrador

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62015 of 65291
Subject: Re: Java Warning Date: 1/14/2013 5:04 PM
I don't know if the bug is in Java 6, but if you don't need it, it's a good idea to disable it anyway.

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62017 of 65291
Subject: Re: Java Warning Date: 1/14/2013 5:14 PM
One of the side effects of Apple being seen as a consumer company with a miniscule pro user base is that pro hardware and software providers -- at least those for whom I am a customer -- end up being less motivated to provide Mac-specific products.

I have the same complaint. This was an occasional topic of discussion on John Siracusa's Hypercritical podcasts. He's a pro-user (a ruby programmer, as I recall) who feels that his needs as a pro user are ignored by apple.

Author: awlabrador Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62019 of 65291
Subject: Re: Java Warning Date: 1/14/2013 6:22 PM
I don't know if the bug is in Java 6, but if you don't need it, it's a good idea to disable it anyway.

Given how widespread the news is, I can't find the specific link I'm thinking of, but my recollection is that Java 6 is indeed affected. Unfortunately, that's what I've got installed on my Mac. Now that a fix (or should that be "fix") has been released by Oracle, I'll probably install Java 7 over Java 6.

-awlabrador

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (27) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement