Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (34) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: JAFO31 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121316  
Subject: Re: Reasons to convert a Traditional IRA to a Ro Date: 4/21/2010 5:22 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
jcmn: "I came across an article, which I will endeavour to find again, that argued against Traditional IRA's and even 401K's(except in the case of the rapidly disappearing company matching funds)."

But did it do it well?

"The main point of the article was that the BIG assumption with T-IRAs and 401Ks, is that we will be paying LESS taxes when we retire and start withdrawing from them, therefore, saving us from paying higher taxes overall. Yet, in view of the massive debt this country has accumulated, exacerbated by the wave of bailouts and budget deficits recently seen, can we realistically expect to pay less taxes in the future on a lump on money we have accumulated with taxes deffered on it? Many people, myself included expect to have to work to make ends meet during retriement. It is hard to see how taxes will go down in the future for anyone. Isn't it better to pay the taxes now on your retirement monies and watch it grow knowing that it will be all yours?"

But did the article note that if a consumption tax is passed (see e.g., FairTax) or a value added tax (and abolition of the federal income tax, as George Will recently editorialized) passes, then you will have paid income tax on the conversaion and will still pay the replacement tax when spent?

"For my part, I did it last late year. My gross income was a mere 27K, the net sum of my IRA+401k was just 13K after the 30%+ beatting they took in 2009. I also got married that year and expect to have significant medical expense deductions for insurance premiums and expenses and job seeking expenses. I'm only 43 so I've go a ways to go before MRDs and all that, but I wanted to see what others thought of this...If you have the article I'm refering to, please link it."

Did you pay the taxes with funds outside the the IRA? If not, then addition to the taxes generally due, you also paid 10% penalty for early withdrawal of the funds to pay the tax (unless over 59 1/2).

Application of the cliche "a bird in hand is better than two in the bush" would suggest taking current deductions.

If you read this board frequently, you will have noted that none of the regulars claim a clear crystal ball regarding future taxes (other than that they will change in some fashion) and often suggest multiple accounts with different tax obligations in order to maximize future flexibility.

Regards, JAFO
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (34) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Netflix Riles Investors
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement