UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 59804  
Subject: Re: Assuming most of us here are boomers. Date: 10/3/2012 12:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Jean: "Granted it's just the people I know, but many of the older folks (older than boomers) I knew (most have died) lived on just SS. They didn't save for retirement. Most of the people I know, boomers, have something saved for retirement. It's probably not enough for them to live without SS, but more than their parents had saved/invested."

I lot of parents of boomers had company pensions. My dad worked 44 years for Ma Bell...retired with 44% of last few years salary.....

Then he got SS and my mom got some too......

they had maybe 250K in 'savings'.......plus owned a small mobile home in FL and a year round house up in NY state.

Had company paid health insurance.

When my dad died, my mom got the pension for another 10 years..and the health care....and her 'survivor' SS......

She had adequate means to live a decent life, travel around, have a nice car, etc.

Most of the folks she knew were in the same situation.

Probably the parents of the majority of boomers had some company pension.....

Remember, back then, there wasn't all that expensive cable TV, cellphone plans, internet, electronic gizmos out the kazzoo....

My parents ate out maybe once a week when retired.....and when we were growing up, we ate out once a year!...or maybe once or twice on vacation - which was usually trips with camping every night.....all over the country...tent camping.... no RVs ...

In retirement, my parents took a cruise a year....and did other trips to foreign countries.....

t.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement