UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (306) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: aoeuid One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308547  
Subject: Re: Bankrupt or try to 'gut it out'? Date: 11/4/2012 3:58 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Jean said: Picking hours to work is not as flexible either. What if one of the kids are sick...are you going to take off from your job? She probably won't have the personal time off you may have and would have to take a not paid day off.

***I am allowed 12 days off per year. I use the PC, and punch in that I need a sub. Or, if I have to leave in the middle of the day, I just tell them and they find a para or a student teacher to take my place. So, via my contract I can leave and get my kids any time I want to. Teachers do it all the time. And, I still get my normal paycheck for the month.

Jean said: You keep saying you want her to get a real job. Do you have an example in mind? Shift work, retail? What jobs are available in your area? Here they are limited but we are in a very small town. I run a nursery and lots of folks come in and want some one to do yard work. Have you thought about doing something like that in the summer?

*****A job where you get a steady pay-check every week or month. Not a job were you are scrambling around daily hoping that somebody might hire you. Especially if you have a limited number of marketable clients because one has chosen NOT to open up their marketing to the market as a whole. An example, sure. Wal-Mart, McDonalds, even this week I saw a cleaning job at a hotel. A retail person somewhere. A dispatcher. Job are in our paper every week.

****I agree. $200 per month to watch a little guy . . . who really doesn't need much watching . . . is still too little of money. That is VALUABLE time that is lost. And, the 'money wagon' is going to end soon when the little one goes to kng next year.

***She charges 10 bucks an hour to clean. I can't do the math. How much does she make per hour watching the little dude? I think it comes out to about 7 bucks per hour. I'm writing this at 240am. I'm sick. I had strep throat a few weeks ago . . .it might be back. I will probably see the doc again today.

Jean said: How much do you do around the house. When you come home for lunch, do you make your own lunch?

***I make my own lunch 65% of the time. And, my lunches are not 5 course meals. Usually a baked potato. Or, a protein bar. Or, some peanut butter sandwiches. Occasionally I get left-overs.

***One summer I gave tennis lessons. One summer I worked at a golf course. Most summers I just R and R. However, this summer (and many more to come), I will be looking for work.

****Just teachers get a lot of time off. What is your point? We also have to do a ton of work with lesson plans, report cards, dealing not just with kids, but with their parents who are often worse than their kids. We have to keep continuing our education in order to stay certified. That means in part, that I have to take at least eight college credit hours every five years. Yes, we get a lot of time off, but we also do a lot of stuff during that time. It's not my fault that teacher's get a lot of time off. Lets see you deal with 300 kids a day (plus your principal, plus the kids parents) ages 5-11 and see if you might need a little time off.

If she got a job from 7:00-3:00 would you get the kids up and off to school? What if it was second shift from 3:00-11:00? Not every job is 9-5 you know.

***Of course. I would have no other choice, would I?

Jean asked: What do you do around the house? PLENTY, believe me. And, I'm not going to make a list of it . . . that would be pointless and time-consuming.

***But thank you for sharing your thoughts on a person being self-employed. I found them encouraging and hopeful.

***Finally, I wish she would give her little client a two weeks notice so that she could either expand her cleaning business or, keep our own home cleaner or find part-time work that pay better then the little bit of money she is making from a kid that will soon be leaving us.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (306) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Nu Skin Showing its Age?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement