UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: SeattleNative Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 24253  
Subject: Re: Just signed up Date: 2/18/2002 12:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 16
Jeff: welcome. I am a lurker at a lot of other TMF message boards -this is basically the only one I regularly post messages at.

No one knows for sure how TMF's new fee-based service will fare in the marketplace but there is a huge amount of information about investments and personal finance. A lot of other personal-finance web sites like Morningstar, The Wall Street Journal are fee based. Most content at the Business Week site is limited to paid magazine subscribers such as myself.

Some people who are enraged about TMF's new subscription fees pay substantial money each month for cable TV, even though some "free" over-the-air TV programming is available.

Some people who are angry about the TMF fees pay substantial money to attend professional sports events, even though it's a discretionary-spending decision and a very expensive habit.

Some people who are angry about the TMF fees pay toll-road fees every day in order to drive on a quicker, better-engineered highway than the stop-and-go surface streets.

Some people who are angry about the TMF fees pay cover charges to go out to a favorite nightclub or bar for entertainment.

Some people who are angry about the TMF fees use surcharging ATMs for cash withdrawals, and not all of the surcharges are reimbursed by their branchless OLBs. Based on results, they are willing to pay for the convenience

Some people who are angry about TMF's fees literally believe that they have a God-given right to having unlimited free services via the Internet, and possibly a God-given right to unlimited free services PLUS absolute maximum savings interest from any bank they do business with.

Some people who are angry about TMF's fees launch into hate-filled personal attacks on individuals who have chosen to give TMF a chance. In a zeal to be "roach free", they have resorted to hateful Jim Crow-like discrimination against people who are "different" than themselves.

In an irony of all this, those people who are so angry about TMF's fees will keep signing up for 30-day "read-only free trials" so they can read these things, under various new screen names, and then try to frighten TMF members with a scheme to block "lurker" access to a different message board.

I regret they are angry about TMF's subscription fees - and there is a risk that TMF won't make it in the marketplace - but everyone has a choice. For me, I DON'T pay for cable TV, I DON'T pay to attend overpriced pro basketball or pro football games (though occasionally I am willing to pay to see the Seattle Mariners in their glory), and I actually DO pay subscriptions for some magazines and services which I deem to be of value.

Freedom of choice is a cornerstone American ideal, something we all should think about this President's Day.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement