Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
JEFFAB asked:

If I was enrolled in my companies 401(K) program for only 5 months of 1999, can I deduct my 1999 401(K)contribution from my taxes?

I'm assuming you meant to ask if you could deduct your 1999 IRA contribution, right? As stated in an earlier post, that depends on a combination of your adjusted gross income, filing status and retirement plan enrollment. For 1999, the fully deductable limit for a traditional IRA (is that the kind you were referring to?) is at $31,000 filing single, and $51,000 married filing jointly. Here's a link to IRS Publication 590 on IRA's for a detailed look at the rules to see if you qualify:


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.