Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
jettaker: "Yes. That would be an option too. I do not currently have a traditional IRA so I would open one to roll the excess into it."

Words really matter here. "Rollover" and "Recharacterization" are terms of art and mean two very different things.

You are not rolling over anything; you are recharacterizing your 2013 contribution!

"Would I only need to put the $5,500 in there or do I also need to transfer NIA?"

You are still confusing a rollover and a recharacterization.

You should be able to to this with your Roth custodian very easily.

See e.g.: from which I quited in my prior post

"Some financial institutions will process the recharacterization by simply changing the IRA from one type to another. Check with your IRA custodian/trustee about their procedure and any documentation requirements for processing a recharacterization." Id.

"For tax purposes, the [recharacerized contribution amount] will be treated as though it were made to the [traditional] IRA from the beginning."
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.