Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm about to receive a distribution of John Hancock Financial Services (JHF) shares, aprox. 350 +/- ?. This distribution is the result of JHF converting from a mutually held company private to a publicly held Corp.. Once I receive them, I'll have to pick a broker, transfer the shares and then be faced with a "Tax" question. How should I report this distribution, not that I want to, but the alternative could become judicial and rather annoying. I imagine that Dear Uncle S. has a form and an incomprehensible instruction pamphlet, but I can't find any reference to said things. Could you point me in the direction of the information that I need.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.