UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: DrBob2 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 90258  
Subject: Jihadis in Mali Date: 10/1/2012 9:54 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Islamist Fighters Ready for Battle in North Mali
www.thejakartaglobe.com/world/islamist-fighters-ready-for-ba...

With his finger on the trigger and a menacing look, a 14-year-old recruit ordered a vehicle to pull over on the road from the Niger border to Gao, the biggest city in northern Mali, now under control of Islamist armed groups....Perhaps the most startling thing about these fighters along this frontier route is that nearly all of them are from sub-Saharan Africa rather than the Maghreb....

"Me too, I am surprised," Nigerien Hicham Bilal, who is leading a katiba (combat unit) to Gao, admitted to AFP. "Every day we have new volunteers. They come from Togo, Benin, Niger, Guinea, Senegal, Algeria and elsewhere." Since all of them want to go to war, Bilal said, the fighters are no longer divided into separate Islamist movements. "We are all mujahedeen," he declared....

Islam has no borders
"I am Khalil, an Egyptian, and I came to help my mujahedeen brothers," said one man in Arabic, speaking through a translator from Sierra Leone. Another volunteer said in English that he is Pakistani. "Islam has no borders," he added....According to one witness, the Algerians are part of the combat unit of powerful AQIM chief Mokhtar Belmokhtar, alias Belaaouar, who controls the Gao region.

DB2
Sounds more like warfare than a crime spree
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: rinjr715 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 89927 of 90258
Subject: Re: Jihadis in Mali Date: 10/1/2012 4:15 PM
Recommendations: 1
When the bloody hell is the world going to stop putting up with these Islamist thugs and start offing them wholesale? The only thing those troublemakers understand is blood and death, and until they are on the receiving end of blood and death in sufficiently huge numbers as to render them ineffective, they will not stop trying to take away the rights and freedoms of the rest of the world. And I'd a damn sight rather see every Muslim in the world killed than lose even the tiniest bit of my rights and freedoms.

Author: DrBob2 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 89928 of 90258
Subject: Re: Jihadis in Mali Date: 10/1/2012 5:33 PM
FWIW, Mali has asked the United Nations for a West African-led military force to help it seize back territory from Islamist rebels. The US has a special forces detachment there.

I suspect we'll hear more news from Mali in the future.

DB2

Author: DrBob2 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 89945 of 90258
Subject: Re: Jihadis in Mali Date: 10/14/2012 10:36 AM
Talk of N. Mali intervention grows, no action soon
http://news.yahoo.com/talk-n-mali-intervention-grows-no-acti...

Before Islamists seized the northern half of Mali, Mamadou Sekere sold masks and jewelry in Timbuktu to European tourists who rode camels and slept in the desert under the stars....Sekere is [now] one of nearly 500,000 people who fled northern Mali since the crisis began earlier this year....

The Obama administration, France and neighboring African countries are all weighing what will be the most effective policies to halt the rapid success of Islamic extremists in Mali. The 15-nation West African regional bloc, the Economic Community of West African States, or ECOWAS, has discussed sending 3,000 troops to help oust the Islamist militants from the north....

The U.N. Security Council on Friday unanimously approved a plan to back an African-led military force to help the Malian army oust Islamic militants. But the plan still faces delays: The French-backed resolution gives Mali, the West Africans and the African Union 45 days to develop plans to recover the occupied territory.

DB2

Author: steve203 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 89948 of 90258
Subject: Re: Jihadis in Mali Date: 10/15/2012 7:28 PM
Islamist militants

The western media's determination to spin all actions by Muslims as bad makes it impossible to know whether the rebels are acting on reasonable grievances against the government, or because they are Muslims, as the media implies.

And even if they are at least in part, motivated by a desire to establish a government that upholds their interpretation of Muslim law, what makes that "bad" while the US' invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan to establish governments to the US' liking is "good"?

Steve

Author: rinjr715 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 89949 of 90258
Subject: Re: Jihadis in Mali Date: 10/15/2012 11:42 PM
Sharia law is BAD. End of story. Civilized people do not impose that on each other.

Author: steve203 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 89950 of 90258
Subject: Re: Jihadis in Mali Date: 10/16/2012 12:50 AM
Sharia law is BAD.

Says who? There appear to be many millions that think it represents their "traditional values". Just as many Christians are against abortion, birth control and gay rights, and regard their positions as "traditional values"

Keep in mind that the Muslim world made fantastic advances in astronomy and mathmatics, while the Christian world was stuck in the dark ages of ignorance, partly enforced by the Christian church.

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 <----Arabic numerals

Steve

Author: DrBob2 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 89951 of 90258
Subject: Re: Jihadis in Mali Date: 10/16/2012 8:47 AM
The western media's determination to spin all actions by Muslims as bad makes it impossible to know whether the rebels are acting on reasonable grievances against the government, or because they are Muslims, as the media implies.

Well, Steve, keep an open mind but don't let your brain fall out.

At first in March:
"Mutinous soldiers led by Captain Amadou Sanogo announce they have overthrown the Bamako government, saying it has failed to give the armed forces the means to defeat a rebellion by Tuareg rebels and Islamists in the north."

Then in April:
"The National Movement for the Liberation of the Azawad (MNLA), the main Tuareg group, says it controls the desert town of Timbuktu....The Islamist Ansar Dine group, along with Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb, moves into Timbuktu."

And in June:
"Islamists seize total control of the northern city of Gao, ousting the MNLA after deadly clashes between the once-allied groups. Armed Islamists destroy ancient tombs of Muslim saints in Timbuktu and threaten to wipe out every religious shrine there."

From the Jakarta Globe:

Since all of them want to go to war, Bilal said, the fighters are no longer divided into separate Islamist movements. "We are all mujahedeen," he declared. "Here, there's no more MUJAO (Movement for Oneness and Jihad in West Africa), Ansar Dine (Defenders of the Faith) or AQIM (Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb)."....

"I am Khalil, an Egyptian, and I came to help my mujahedeen brothers," said one man in Arabic, speaking through a translator from Sierra Leone. Another volunteer said in English that he is Pakistani. "Islam has no borders," he added.

DB2

Author: steve203 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 89952 of 90258
Subject: Re: Jihadis in Mali Date: 10/16/2012 9:49 AM
"We are all mujahedeen,"

"I'm a Contra too" Saint Reagan

Steve

Author: DrBob2 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 89962 of 90258
Subject: Re: Jihadis in Mali Date: 10/29/2012 9:13 AM
Mujahideen flock to Mali
www.magharebia.com/cocoon/awi/xhtml1/en_GB/features/awi/repo...

Foreign fighters have begun arriving in Mali, but these are not the long-awaited African military forces come to liberate the country from al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM), the MUJAO and Ansar al-Din. "Hundreds of jihadists, mostly Sudanese and Sahrawis, have arrived as reinforcements to face an offensive by Malian forces and their allies," AFP quoted a Malian security source as saying on Tuesday (October 22nd). "They are armed and explained that they had come to help their Muslim brothers against the infidels," a Timbuktu resident said.

Sanad Ould Bouamama, official spokesperson for Ansar al-Din, says, "The arrival of hundreds of young mujahideen from different areas across the Islamic world to support us in our war against the infidels and crusaders is not strange or surprising."

"The same thing happened in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Chechnya, Somalia and Iraq," the Ansar al-Din official tells Magharebia. Ould Bouamama adds, "The war that the world is planning to wage against us is a war against Islam and all that is related to Islam. Its goal is to combat God's Sharia, and therefore, all mujahideen have to stand by our side."

DB2

Author: steve203 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 89963 of 90258
Subject: Re: Jihadis in Mali Date: 10/29/2012 1:44 PM
"The arrival of hundreds of young mujahideen from different areas across the Islamic world to support us in our war against the infidels and crusaders is not strange or surprising."

More anti-Muslim propaganda. Makes it sound like the locals are not Muslim and are being assulted by the "global Islamic conspiracy".

Mali is 90% Muslim. It's a typical poverty and strife torn country, whose elected government was overthrown in a coup last spring, and already had a civil war in progress.

But the government knows how to push the west's buttons. Just scream "AQ" and the west comes running with money and guns. All it has to do is dig up some nutjob to perform for the media like a west African version of a US religous fundy whack.

Steve

Author: tjscott0 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 89972 of 90258
Subject: Re: Jihadis in Mali Date: 11/5/2012 9:22 AM
Article from Reporter in the area.
http://www.worldaffairsjournal.org/blog/michael-j-totten/get...

The harshest form of Islamic law in the world is now being imposed at gunpoint. Ancient tombs and shrines are being bulldozed for the exact same reason the Buddha statues were destroyed in Afghanistan. And the place has turned into a rat’s nest of the who’s-who of terrorist organizations operating in North Africa.

This time around, we aren’t waiting for a devastating attack against an American city to do something about it, and not only because Al Qaeda is already a clearly identified enemy of the United States. Northern Mali may already be the return address for an attack against the United States. Some of the leaders of Al Qaeda in the Maghreb, which was presumably behind the terrorist attack in Benghazi that killed U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens, are believed to be based there.

The Islamists are going on a Taliban-like rampage of destruction, destroying ancient Muslim religious tombs and shrines because they’re “idolatrous.” Bulgarian diplomat Irina Bokova minces no words. “This attack is led by a tiny armed minority, who violently imposes its interpretation of a faith on a distraught local community, spoiling centuries of tolerance and exchange,” she says. “The attack on Timbuktu's cultural heritage is an attack against this history and the values it carries—values of tolerance, exchange and living together… It is an attack against the physical evidence that peace and dialogue is possible.”

Music—all music—is banned. The Guardian reports a chilling recent story. Thugs armed with AK-47s drove up to the home of a local musician. He wasn’t there when they arrived, so they left a message with his sister. “If you speak to him, tell him that if he ever shows his face in this town again, we’ll cut off all the fingers he uses to play his guitar with.”

Most of Africa is like Las Vegas at least in one way. What happens there tends to stay there. Hardly any African wars affect anybody off-continent. But Mali isn’t the Congo or Sierra Leone. It matters for the same reason Afghanistan mattered in early 2001 even though most of us couldn't see it yet.

We might get lucky and have just a small proxy war, with moderate Tuaregs doing most of the fighting against Ansar al-Dine. But no one can say for sure where this thing is heading. All we know now is that it’s almost certainly the next war the U.S. will be involved in.

Obviously this guy want another Afghan type war. Not me. Seen enough US wars where we have no idea of the culture & how things work in foreign sink holes. eg Vietnam Iraq, Afghanistan.

I see these Islamic fundamentalists are destroying muslin shrines. So they're extreme. I wouldn't mind funding "moderate" Muslims to allow them to defend themselves & rid the area of extremists. Or provide logistical support for local neighboring African troops if they desire to end these fundamentalists. In no way should we put US boots on the ground or provide "advisers".

Just from a economic standpoint we can no longer afford entitlements for seniors let alone these foreign adventures.

Author: DrBob2 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 90011 of 90258
Subject: Re: Jihadis in Mali Date: 12/4/2012 6:56 AM
American Commander Details Al Qaeda’s Strength in Mali
www.nytimes.com/2012/12/04/world/africa/top-american-command...
Al Qaeda’s affiliate in North Africa is operating terrorist training camps in northern Mali and providing arms, explosives and financing to a militant Islamist organization in northern Nigeria, the top American military commander in Africa said on Monday. The affiliate, Al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb, has used the momentum gained since seizing control of the northern part of the impoverished country in March to increase recruiting across sub-Saharan Africa, the Middle East and Europe, said the commander, Gen. Carter F. Ham.

General Ham’s assessment is the most detailed and sobering American military analysis so far of the consequences of the Qaeda affiliate and associated extremist groups seizing the northern part of Mali to use as a haven....

Radical Islamists have turned northern Mali into an enclave for Qaeda militants and for the imposition of harsh Shariah law, which has been used to terrorize the population, particularly women, with amputations, stonings, whippings and other abuses. The Qaeda North Africa affiliate is now considered one of the best armed and wealthiest of the Qaeda franchises across the world....

DB2

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement