UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: captainccs Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 41629  
Subject: Re: Ideas for 2013 Date: 1/3/2013 6:08 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 13
Jim, thanks for sharing. Of your list I'm long MCP. Rare earth elements (REE) became notorious on the stock market in 2010 when the Chinese started restricting their export after having earlier cornered the industry via price dumping. This shock created a REE price bubble and a bubble in REE related stock prices. A lot of people must have lost their shirts on MCP. I bought MCP after the bubble burst, in BMW fashion when I thought it had bottomed. On the other hand I bought the junior miners Rare Element Resources (REE) and Ucore Rare Metals (UURAF) earlier so I have a loss in both.

The above is proof that being bullish can be costly, let me explain. When the Chinese restricted exports it became clear that America was in a bad position, dependent on a tough competitor for critical commodities. America needed REE independence. The 17 REE elements are grouped into light and heavy with the light being abundant and cheap and the heavy being somewhat scarce and much more valuable. This led me to search for North American REE properties. MCP's Mountain Pass property has mainly light REEs so I gave it a pass. UURAF and REE have heavy REE rich properties on American soil which was the reason for buying them.

Of the three REE outfits I think that Ucore Rare Metals has the best future. Its property, Bokan – Dotson Ridge, is in Alaska, a mining friendly state with excellent access to the sea. They have received assistance from both Alaska and the DoD. One of the main difficulties of REE mining is separating the valuable metals from the undesirable radioactive elements. Ucore is working on a novel separation method. The UURAF story is developing nicely but it will take a lot of patience before they start shipping product. http://ucore.com/

Rare Element Resources' REE property is the Bear Lodge Property in Wyoming. http://www.rareelementresources.com/s/Home.asp

Denny Schlesinger
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

BMW METHOD EVENTS

The 2009 BMW Method Conference has been cancelled, due to minimum attendance numbers not being met. We hope to continue the annual BMW Method Conference tradition next fall.

Learn about the first four conferences on the BMW Method Website.

The BMW Method FAQ

BMW Method Website
Annual Conference Videos and Other Resources & Services
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

IBM: Is Buffett Wrong, or Brilliant?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement