UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (102) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: UrsulaB Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 176697  
Subject: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/27/2005 12:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 17
who "certified" the re-election of Hugo Chavez created now problems in Ethiopia:

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/africa/05/25/ethiopia.eu.ap/

ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia (AP) -- Ethiopia's electoral board appears to have lost control of the vote counting for the May 15 legislative polls, European Union election observers said in a report obtained by The Associated Press on Wednesday.
The confidential report went on to say the EU might have to make a public denunciation of developments to distance itself from "the lack of transparency, and assumed rigging" of the vote
"Ten days after the polling day, the situation is of political uncertainty and informational chaos regarding the results of the election," according to the confidential report."...

Why is Carter so blind?
"The EU report also said former U.S. President Carter, who led a team of 50 election observers, undermined the electoral process and EU criticism with "his premature blessing of the elections and early positive assessment of the results."...

It would be better for this despot loving moron to stay at home and take care of his peanuts.

Ursula

Print the post Back To Top
Author: rigoletto39 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110379 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/27/2005 12:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
It would be better for this despot loving moron to stay at home and take care of his peanuts.

Hi, UrsulaB. Looks like we're finding the same news stories. And we both have the same advice for the former US President and former naval officer (lieutenant).

Author: FordLove Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110382 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/27/2005 1:20 PM
Recommendations: 2

The man seems to care, and he is trying, so I'm willing to cut him some slack. While many of us sit and carp about how the world could be a better place, he often is out there trying to make it one.

Now, I don't have a goverment check letting me not work and travel the world sticking my nose in, I would like to think I would try. I would probably be playing celebrity golf if I was in his situation though.

Ford

Author: UrsulaB Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110385 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/27/2005 1:46 PM
Recommendations: 0
Indeed, you are right, rigoletto.

I really wish that somebody would tell him firmly to stay at home.
He is doing more damage then good and he gives, imo, legitimacy to the wrong people (Castro, Chavez and others).
Can we afford this still?
I don´t think so.

U

Author: dessertfox Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110389 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/27/2005 2:28 PM
you can (ruhig) include the middle east in that list.

Regards

Author: skybluewater Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110395 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/27/2005 3:00 PM
Recommendations: 82

Jimmy Carter is a truly decent man, and while he wasn't a great President, he DID run a clean administration, and he DID bring the Egyptians and Israelis together in peace.

You aren't fit to shell his peanuts.

Erik

Author: rigoletto39 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110398 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/27/2005 3:36 PM
Recommendations: 3
While many of us sit and carp about how the world could be a better place, he often is out there trying to make it one.

I believe he means well, but he's just clueless. Trying to make it a better one, that time he did the oppposite.

Author: skybluewater Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110412 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/27/2005 5:03 PM
Recommendations: 36
I believe he means well, but he's just clueless. Trying to make it a better one, that time he did the oppposite.

If only you felt this way about the current President, instead of an 80-year old former President who's spending his final years at least trying to make the world a better place.

Erik

Author: rigoletto39 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110420 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/27/2005 6:40 PM
If only you felt this way about the current President, instead of an 80-year old former President who's spending his final years at least trying to make the world a better place.

About 2000 years ago, and old Greek guy came up with a great idea:

First, do no harm.

I believe he's a good-hearted guy, and makes a wonderful grandfather. But he should really be making the world a better place a lot closer to home. He cares a lot more for Castro's Cuba than he does for his own country.

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Korea/EI04Dg04.html

... just about no one in Washington, not even among ranking opposition Democrats, believes that Kim Jong-il is a credible negotiating partner and just about everyone believes that Kim rather than his nukes is the problem, ie, that only regime change will ultimately settle the issue.

On the other hand, of course, Kim surely is aware of that thinking in the Bush administration and beyond (though not reaching all the way to the gullible Jimmy Carter). Kim is confronting Washington with the unpalatable choice of either conceding "simultaneity" or driving a hard line to which he has threatened to respond by formally declaring North Korea a nuclear power and conducting a nuclear test.

Wanting to believe the best in everyone has blinded him to the harsh realities of the world.

Author: skybluewater Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110426 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/27/2005 7:03 PM
Recommendations: 8

First, do no harm.

Would that Bush had heeded that lesson...

Erik

Author: maracle Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110427 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/27/2005 7:08 PM
Recommendations: 22

Do you apply this same standard to Rumsfeld and Bush Sr who supplied Saddam Heussein with those chemical weapons he used on his own people?

Author: Chryptosporidium Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110435 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/27/2005 8:01 PM
One of the strengths of our two party system has been that essentially every person to be nominated as his party's standard bearer has been temperamentally suited to be President. I think that cuts across both parties, and pretty much covers even our two more recent, more controversial Presidents, Messrs Clinton and Bush.

Carter, however, shows the danger of weird pockets of history. In more "normal" times, the Democrats would have nominated Scoop Jackson, Humphrey again, something like that. Decent or not, Carter is probably the only *candidate* from the series of Federalist/Democratic, Whig/Democratic, or Republican/Democratic candidates in the history of the US who was temperamentally unsuited. There's an old saying that very few great men were good men... I think this proves that a good man can be an appalling and abysmal leader, and far from a great man.

Author: maracle Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110441 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/27/2005 8:55 PM
Recommendations: 5
Carter is probably the only *candidate* from the series of Federalist/Democratic, Whig/Democratic, or Republican/Democratic candidates in the history of the US who was temperamentally unsuited.

What do you mean by "tempermentally unsuited?" Its a rare man that will stand on principle, I guess maybe you're saying Carter wasn't enough of a snake?

Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110444 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/27/2005 9:58 PM

First, do no harm.

That implies having enough intelligence to understand the problem you are facing and understanding your own limitations. If you understand neither, then you do more harm than good through your actions, no matter how noble.

JLC

Author: TMFSpeck Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110447 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/27/2005 10:41 PM
Recommendations: 148

After Nixon left office, pardoned for crimes he may have committed, he wrote a few books, and while tarnished by his deeds in office, he did occasionally consult with the government in foreign policy matters.

After Ford left office, he played golf. In the nearly 30 years since he has left office, I can think of nothing more remarkable than that. His wife Betty has had a longer legacy with the drug treatment center named for her.

After Reagan left office, he gave some speeches and interviews. I think he tossed the coin at a Notre Dame game (Gipper and all...)

Bush Sr. and Clinton have notably worked together in the tsunami relief effort.

After Carter left office, he opened the Carter Center promoting world health and human rights. He's worked with James Baker to promote peace in places like Sudan and Ethiopia. He monitored Noriega's "election" in Panama and bravely branded it a sham for the world to see.

He's worked actively in hot spots like North Korea (brokering a nuclear freeze - our current government refuses to even sit at the table), Bosnia (brokering a cease-fire), and Haiti.

The Carter Center has monitored some 50 elections worldwide, including places like the West Bank and Gaza, Venezuela, Indonesia, Peru, Lebanon, Panama, Jamaica, Ethiopia...

For years, he's helped build houses for low-income families with Habitat for Humanity. He's written some 16 books.

While his faith is important to this deeply religious man, he would never dream of forcing his morals on others, nor would he use it as a weapon against his political opponents.

At age 81, he continues to devote his life to ideals he holds dear and works to make the world a better place.

While in office, he took full responsibility for the failed rescue attempt of American hostages in Iran, as opposed to George "I can't think of any mistakes" Bush.

Was he a great President? Perhaps not. But I'd take this peanut-farming "moron" any day over the current crop of cynical miscreants.

Best,

Speck

Author: Vile Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110449 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/27/2005 11:28 PM
maracle,
"Do you apply this same standard to Rumsfeld and Bush Sr who supplied Saddam Heussein with those chemical weapons he used on his own people?"

I guess bringing freedom to 50 million people just ain't good enough any more.

Cheers,

Vile
NEVER SAY DIE!!!

Author: WuLong Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110450 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/27/2005 11:57 PM
Recommendations: 17

Let me know when we invade Tibet, would you?

Author: skybluewater Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110452 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/28/2005 12:26 AM
"Do you apply this same standard to Rumsfeld and Bush Sr who supplied Saddam Heussein with those chemical weapons he used on his own people?"

Hey, Vile, if I rob a bank or steal money from my company, and use the money to feed and clothe hundreds of starving poor families, does that make my actions any less criminal?

No.

Erik

Author: skybluewater Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110453 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/28/2005 12:29 AM
Jimmy Carter is a truly decent man, and ... You aren't fit to shell his peanuts.
-------
Jimmy Carter is a pathetic fool. And you're fit to SUCK his peenuts.

Bitter much?

Erik

Author: CVSUSN Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110457 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/28/2005 1:52 AM
But I'd take this peanut-farming "moron" any day over the current crop of cynical miscreants.

Cynical miscreants?

Speck, care to explain your description?

Author: JoelCairo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110459 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/28/2005 2:42 AM
Shame on you for such childish, mean-spirited and truly ignorant remarks.

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110460 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/28/2005 2:46 AM
Recommendations: 28

Was Carter a great President? Perhaps not.

Remember all the endless sky-jackings that were taking place during his term? One thing Carter did was to put a stop to it. As he explained in a speech that I saw him give during the Guld War, he wrote a letter to the leaders of the nations that were likely sponsoring the sky-jackers, and told them that it had to stop, or all air traffic would cease to their nations. The letter was also signed by other world leaders, but its existence was kept secret so that the shady leaders could save face. A direct order in front of the whole world would never have worked, because they couldn't be seen as backing down. So Carter was willing to do the right thing behind the scenes knowing that he could never take credit for it while running for re-election.

Author: CCSand Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110461 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/28/2005 2:49 AM
Recommendations: 4
maracle wrote:

What do you mean by "tempermentally unsuited?" Its a rare man that will stand on principle, I guess maybe you're saying Carter wasn't enough of a snake?

It's not that Carter was a snake. It's that he was naive and did not have a good grasp of human nature. He completely failed to understand that evil does exist, that evil can never be trusted to speak the truth and to kill evil before it kills you. His political failures were thus far more numerous than his success.

CCSand

Author: CCSand Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110463 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/28/2005 3:04 AM
TMFSpeck wrote:

He's worked with James Baker to promote peace in places like Sudan and Ethiopia.

There is no peace in the Sudan. Especially if you're a black Christian or animist.

He's worked actively in hot spots like North Korea (brokering a nuclear freeze - our current government refuses to even sit at the table),

The treaty that North Korea signed and then didn't comply with.

The Carter Center has monitored some 50 elections worldwide, including places like the West Bank and Gaza, Venezuela....

The West Bank and Gaza had such great democracy under Arafat the dictator. And Venezuela!? They've got Castro's clone in Venezuela right now. And Chavez is now trying to export his "revolution" to Columbia, in true Sandinista/Communist fashion.

At age 81, he continues to devote his life to ideals he holds dear and works to make the world a better place.

In my opinion, he needs to stick to building houses. I don't think he was even a good president in spite of his good intentions. Good intentions don't cut it in this world. Nor do I think that he's improved any since he left office.

CCSand

Author: maracle Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110464 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/28/2005 3:41 AM

Installing a dictator and arming him with chemical weapons is not "freeing 50 million people"

Author: UrsulaB Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110466 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/28/2005 6:24 AM
I second you CCSand.

What the admirers of good intent forget is that at the end only RESULTS count.

And the result Carter´s politics yielded were mostly lousy.

As you said: where is the peace in Sudan?
Where is peace and freedom in North-Korea?
Where is peace in Gaza and the WB?

And why build houses for people in other countries?
It looks to me like a PR coup.
Isn´t there enough to take care of in the USA?

Good intentions alone are nothing.
In our world only results count.
And when I look at the condition of the world and the worlds growing population, I must say, that it is bad if not worse.

And bleeding hearts like Carter make things even worse despite their religious beliefs and, in their opinion, well meaning actions.

Have conditions in Cuba become better since his ridiculous visit?
Aren´t many more in jail now because Carter bolstered Castro´s self-esteem?

The world does NOT function in the way Carter thinks - we can witness it every day.

Ursula

Author: UrsulaB Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110468 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/28/2005 6:33 AM
TMFSpeck mentioned cynical miscreants.

Who are those "cynical miscreants"?
Could you explain or should I simply conclude that you ment:

Castro, Chavez, NK-Kim, the mullahs, Nasrallah, the remaining arab despots, the unelected "leaders" of the EU?

Or did you mean the so-called leaders of kashmiri, philippino or indonesian "freedom fighters"?

Or did you mean all those stealing and murdering "freedom fighters" in the name of african despots?

The indonesian "freedom fighters" have just bombed the crap out of a busy marketplace in a town there.
Unfortunately it is a fact that this very town consists of mostly christian inhabitants.

And now back to Carter. I see him this way:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=22548421

Ursula

Author: TMFSpeck Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110472 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/28/2005 7:20 AM
Recommendations: 86
Cynical miscreants?

Speck, care to explain your description?

Cynical: Staging "town hall meetings" with hand-picked audiences, attempting to manage news with one's own fake "reporter", "putting money in (our) pocket" with tax cuts while proposing to steal it right back from our children and grandchildren, stringing together half-truths and wishes as a premise to war, declaring "Mission Accomplished!" while continuing to send America's sons and daughters to battle with insufficient armor, the wrong kind of training, and no end in sight, while Osama bin Laden remains at large...

Miscreant: Using the tragic plight of a dying woman and her family to appease one's political base, preaching a "culture of life" while rationalizing torture and standing in the way of crucial stem-cell research, misleading one's friends for one's own ends, pledging one's service to the country then skipping out when such service becomes inconvenient...

I see Jimmy Carter as one who understands his oath to the people of this country and his reponsibility to the world. I see him as one who continues to try to make the world a better place while understanding his limitations and learning from his mistakes. Unfortunately, from my point of view, those seem to be rare qualities in this administration.

Best,

Speck

Author: TMFSpeck Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110474 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/28/2005 7:37 AM
And why build houses for people in other countries?
It looks to me like a PR coup.

Why, indeed, since bombing such people seems to be much more popular and effective.

Good intentions alone are nothing.

Perhaps. But I'll take them over bad intentions.

Aren't many more in jail now because Carter bolstered Castro's self-esteem?

Since when, exactly, has Mr. Castro had a self-esteem problem?

Best,

Speck

Author: UrsulaB Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110476 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/28/2005 8:21 AM
Recommendations: 7
"Why, indeed, since bombing such people seems to be much more popular and effective."

It seems, TMFSpeck, in particular with radical fundamentalists, non-combatants, terrorists and their state sponsors:

10,000 people flee "city of peace" (Yala, Thailand)
Rebel attacks wreak havoc in district of Yala
Influx of Cambodian Muslims into Thailand
Islamic schools in the south investigated
Police find al-Qaeda videos in Muslim school in Southern Thailand

from LGF: http://littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/

See, Yala was even on the UN list:

http://portal.unesco.org/culture/en/ev.php-URL_ID=2550&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTION=201.html

Do I have to remind you what just happened in Islamabad where Sunnis and Shea used the SAME mosque for prayers?

Don´t tell me that it is the USA´s "fault".
It is the fault of people who do not wish for HARMONY between religions and not even harmony and acceptance between two strains of their own religion.
It´s the deed of supremacists that only know ONE thing: their power, their caliphat, their way of thinking.
The rest gets killed off if we let them do it.

http://www.washtimes.com/world/20040105-093638-4465r.htm

..."will enforce martial law in Thailand's mainly Muslim south, where insurgents this week have seized weapons, burned schools and attacked police outposts, killing four soldiers and three policemen."...

But in the meantime they have discovered those manuals, don´t forget.
Thailand is a 93% buddhist country but a violent minority wants to change this by force obviously.

"Perhaps. But I'll take them over bad intentions.", Speck wrote.

The best examples for BAD intentions are cited above.

"Since when, exactly, has Mr. Castro had a self-esteem problem?", Speck asked.

I don´t like the way you divert and overlook the many that are in prison in Castro´s socialist paradise:

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/americas/05/20/cuba.rally/

Easy to see, Speck - people want to be free!

Even socialist tending EU - except commie Zapatero - doesn´t like Castro´s little games anymore:

"Europeans Urge Tougher Line on Cuba"

http://www.wtopnews.com/index.php?nid=105&sid=522108

"MADRID, Spain (AP) - Lawmakers from Spain, Italy and Germany urged their governments on Saturday take to a tougher line with Cuba after the communist government expelled a number of Europeans ahead of an opposition rally in Havana.
Spanish officials demanded that Cuba explain why two Spanish politicians were told to leave the country and a third threatened with expulsion before the rare opposition demonstration, the Foreign Ministry said Saturday."...

"Six Poles _ three journalists, a human rights worker and two students _ and an Italian journalist also were ordered to leave the country. Spain said a deputy for the regional Catalan Convergence and Unity party also was threatened with expulsion and was at the Havana airport Saturday."...

""Where is it written that the Spanish prime minister must make himself popular with a tyrant"...a spanish MP asked.

I ask you the same, Speck regarding Mr. Carter.
You can simply not talk people with bad and stubborn intentions into something good and you should not give them additional "legitimacy" but rather try to remove them for the sake of their poor and mistreated populations.

Ursula

Author: ggiovanni Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110478 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/28/2005 8:32 AM
Recommendations: 6
<I believe he means well, but he's just clueless. Trying to make it a better one, that time he did the oppposite.>

Kind of like GWB.

Author: UrsulaB Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110479 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/28/2005 8:34 AM
"This thread caught my eye because I see sky has made the top of the most recommended board by insulting Ursula."

LOL, salongi! I haven´t even read his post.
I m used to get insulted by his ilk and couldn´t care less.
Honestly, the likes of skybluewater do simply NOT exist in my world.

What irritates me though a bit is the fact that TMF (who has known me for a very long time) just look on and let it be.
For sure this doesn´t encourage one to renew when the time comes up.

Unfortunately, when people say the truth, they are seldom loved but hated by many from the blind and hysterical left.

I second everything you said but in particular this:

"That Carter wasn't a perfect president doesn't bother me nearly as much as him passing himself off as a dove. His policies literally have killed millions upon millions in Zimbabwe and the Middle East, but since he didn't actually hold the gun, it's okay."

And I remain with my opinion that was shaped over many years: Carter is a blind moron with good intentions that haven´t produced any GOOD results.
And it is the result that counts and nothing else.

Ursula

Author: readyteddy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110480 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/28/2005 8:38 AM
Recommendations: 24
"His (Carters) businesses were completely supported by government subsidies. As he knows how to milk the government among the best, he now thinks he should share? I don't think so."

Hmmm...

Let's see. George Bush was in two businesses.

There was the oil business, subsidized by all those depletion allowences and such.

Then there was his baseball team, a chronic loser until the tax payers of Texas got to subsidize a stadium which created a short term buzz allowing him to cash in for $14 million and run for office. (His original grubstake for the baseball deal came from selling stock in Harken Eneregy in a transaction that looks to this guy to be a lot like Martha Stewart's sale of Imclone stock with the exception that George had friends in high places).

Currently, Bush's money is in land and treasuries. He is, however encouraging the rest of us (aka the "great unwashed") to put our money in the stock market.

Two can play this game.

Author: TMFSpeck Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110482 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/28/2005 8:55 AM
Recommendations: 33
Don´t tell me that it is the USA´s "fault".

Perhaps you missed my point: building houses for those in need is not a character flaw, and likely wins more hearts than bombing the houses of those in need.

You can simply not talk people with bad and stubborn intentions into something good and you should not give them additional "legitimacy" but rather try to remove them for the sake of their poor and mistreated populations.

So I take it your signature will be the first on the "Impeach Bush" petition? ;)

Regards,

Speck

Author: ggiovanni Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110483 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/28/2005 9:02 AM
Recommendations: 18
<I guess bringing freedom to 50 million people just ain't good enough any more.

Cheers,

Vile
NEVER SAY DIE!!!>

Such absolute garbage. Afghanistan is not free. As late as this week, Karzai was told that the American troops occuping his country would not only reamin in Afghanistan, but also that Karzai would have no say in what they do. This is not a free country.

Furthermore, a country like Iraq were 10-20 people are murdered each die as part of a civil war is not free. Last time I checked, there are 140,000 American troops still occuping Iraq. You can call it what you want, but free is not the word.

By your own definition, the Soviet Union "freed" Afghanistan in 1980. After all, they removed a bad leader and put in their own puppet. Just like Bush did.

Author: Vile Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110484 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/28/2005 9:20 AM
maracle,
"I guess bringing freedom to 50 million people just ain't good enough any more.

Installing a dictator and arming him with chemical weapons is not "freeing 50 million people""

I am going to have to play stupid sometime to see how the other half lives.

Cheers,

Vile
NEVER SAY DIE!!!

Author: Vile Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110486 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/28/2005 9:27 AM
ggiovanni,
"Such absolute garbage. Afghanistan is not free. As late as this week, Karzai was told that the American troops occuping his country would not only reamin in Afghanistan, but also that Karzai would have no say in what they do. This is not a free country."

Yeah, thats why they had elections where over 10,000,000 people voted. I guess you would rather have the Taliban still in power. I can think of no other reason you would make such bogus statements.

"Furthermore, a country like Iraq were 10-20 people are murdered each die as part of a civil war is not free. Last time I checked, there are 140,000 American troops still occuping Iraq. You can call it what you want, but free is not the word."

Again, the Iraqi's voted in large numbers and Americans are there to provide security until the country is stable.

"By your own definition, the Soviet Union "freed" Afghanistan in 1980. After all, they removed a bad leader and put in their own puppet. Just like Bush did."

Yeah, sure they did. Tell me again how many people showed up for the Soviet election?

Cheers,

Vile
NEVER SAY DIE!!!

Author: readyteddy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110487 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/28/2005 9:32 AM
I'm not a big fan of Jimmie Carter. I voted for Ford in '76 and Reagan in '80. But when it comes to annoying self-rightous bible thumpers who got fat at the public trough, Jimmie Carter wouldn't make a wart on George Bush's rear end.

Bush is a serious candidate for the Nobel War Prize, though. He's got Carter coming and going on that one.

Author: UrsulaB Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110488 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/28/2005 9:36 AM
"Perhaps you missed my point: building houses for those in need is not a character flaw, and likely wins more hearts than bombing the houses of those in need.", Speck wrote.

No you missed the point.
Don´t fish for a man and give him the fish but TEACH him how to fish if you want to ensure his livelyhood.
And that should actually be the tas of the respective governments and not Mr. Carters´.

See, Speck, this is the kind of "argument" I just don´t like about the Left.
You never anwered my questions.
And you bring on the beaten to death sentence "impeach Bush" like in a DU forum.
This is ridiculous but not an argument or a rebuttal to what I have written and asked you.

See, how the world really is.
A small example:

http://haganah.org.il/harchives/004188.html

Taking all the aid one can get from the USA during the tsunami.
But then wanting to bomb their installations, right?
Or demonstrate against something that is not proven:

http://news.yahoo.com/photo/050527/photos_wl/mdf570622&g=events/wl/051605newsweekquran;_ylt=AuULmDKB5Sk_fQT4GxsCa7Jg.3QA;_ylu=X3oDMTA3bGk2OHYzBHNlYwN0bXA

It´s time for me to go now.

U

Author: Vile Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110492 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/28/2005 10:16 AM
Recommendations: 10
readyteddy,
"I'm not a big fan of Jimmie Carter. I voted for Ford in '76 and Reagan in '80. But when it comes to annoying self-rightous bible thumpers who got fat at the public trough, Jimmie Carter wouldn't make a wart on George Bush's rear end."

Ah, I see we have another religious bigot in our midst.

Cheers,

Vile
NEVER SAY DIE!!!

Author: katinga Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110494 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/28/2005 10:46 AM
While his faith is important to this deeply religious man, he would never dream of forcing his morals on others, nor would he use it as a weapon against his political opponents.

I used to respect the man. But his diplomacy of late has reflected his foreign policy as president, which Paul Johnson characterized as America's collective suicide attempt.

And as to your statement, I'm not sure what it means. If it means, as I suspect, that the statement only applies to conservative points of view being presented with persuasive reasoning, then, of course, your statement is correct, because Carter is not a conservative.

And I suppose it is still true with Carter's attempts to impose his leftist morality on America, because his reasoning has not been persuasive.

Author: TMFSpeck Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110495 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/28/2005 10:53 AM
Recommendations: 12
You never anwered my questions.

Your questions:

Do I have to remind you what just happened in Islamabad where Sunnis and Shea used the SAME mosque for prayers?

No. However, I fail to see the connection to my original point.

Where is it written that [Mr. Carter] must make himself popular with a tyrant?

Strawman, but you knew that.

Did I miss any questions?

Don´t fish for a man and give him the fish but TEACH him how to fish if you want to ensure his livelyhood.

And you bring on the beaten to death sentence "impeach Bush" like in a DU forum.

Oh, my. I understand that vitamin B3 helps with "sense of humor" deficiencies.

Ironically, fish is a good source of B3. I'm sorry I can't give you the fish, but I'll be happy to show you how to catch your own ;)

Speck

Author: UrsulaB Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110501 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/28/2005 12:27 PM
"It is selfish, hateful, elitist, deceitful, and bigoted, while all the while claiming to take the high road.", salongi wrote.

It is indeed and describes the typical arrogance of man/women from the left, the "I-know-better" types without backup and with an extremely closed mind.
And not widely travelled as it looks.
In fact they are all not worth a reply and for sure it is the last time I did it.

U

Author: IronicFelix Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110509 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/28/2005 3:00 PM
This thread caught my eye because I see sky has made the top of the most recommended board by insulting Ursula.

What did he say?

Author: IronicFelix Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110510 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/28/2005 3:02 PM
I m used to get insulted by his ilk and couldn´t care less.
Honestly, the likes of skybluewater do simply NOT exist in my world.

What irritates me though a bit is the fact that TMF (who has known me for a very long time) just look on and let it be.

If you haven't read the post, how can you be irritated that it wasn't pulled?

Author: IronicFelix Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110512 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/28/2005 3:06 PM
Salongi: I also see that the indignant Left has stepped up to the plate to stick up for Carter on "principle". While they are at it, why don't they stick up for Lenin or Stalin on principle.

I've always said the difference between Carter and Stalin was just a matter of degree.

Felix
Reagan voter

Author: Vile Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110513 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/28/2005 3:06 PM
IronicFelix,
"This thread caught my eye because I see sky has made the top of the most recommended board by insulting Ursula.

What did he say?"

Why not just read the Star and Enquirer if you want to sate your lust for the lowest common denominator? Or better yet, just read the NYT.

Cheers,

Vile
NEVER SAY DIE!!!

Author: IronicFelix Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110515 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/28/2005 3:16 PM
During Jimmy Carter's presidentcy is when America & Britain started appeasing Marxist.

Zimbabwe – Rhodesia...

Interesting that you'd choose Carter's policy on Zimbabwe as an example of him being soft on communism, and not, say, his actions vis-a-vis the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. Understandable, I suppose, considering how central Zimbabwe was in winning the Cold War and how little the eventual Soviet defeat in Afghanistan had to do with it.

Author: GunnarSK Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110520 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/28/2005 5:19 PM
Recommendations: 31
Was he a great President? Perhaps not. But I'd take this peanut-farming "moron" any day over the current crop of cynical miscreants.

Best,

Speck

How nice of Ursula to start a thread which has turned into a tribute to Jimmy Carter!

I believe that pres. Carter was a great president, but with only four years in office he did not reach his full potential, which he has been making up for later to the benefit of humanity. During his presidency, I was living on "the other side", in Czechoslovakia, and he greatly contributed to downplaying the conflicts which were threatening to make life very dangerous in Europe and elsewhere. He was never pictured as a man of peace by my communist "hosts", since he presided over America's (NATO's) decision to respond in kind to the Soviet SS20 missiles deployed in Europe - a decision which the Communist press pictured as the utmost belligerence.

Thank you president Carter, for helping keep the world safe during a crucial period when America's prestige was at a low after the Vietnam war and before Eastern Europe started disintegrating.

Gunnar

Author: BrerBear Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110522 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/28/2005 5:57 PM
Speck
======================================
Fair enough... you can take that moron...

"Birds of a feather...", and all that...

[Yes, he IS a good man, but he is also world-class naive, with a capital ZZZZZZZZZ...]

RIP

Author: skybluewater Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110528 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/28/2005 7:51 PM
Recommendations: 25
This thread caught my eye because I see sky has made the top of the most recommended board by insulting Ursula.

She deserved it. How dare a German, of all people, call a former US President (a very decent one, at that) a "despot loving moron"?

Erik

Author: skybluewater Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110529 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/28/2005 7:54 PM
This thread caught my eye because I see sky has made the top of the most recommended board by insulting Ursula."

Why am I not surprised?

Erik

Author: skybluewater Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110530 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/28/2005 8:03 PM
-------
If you haven't read the post, how can you be irritated that it wasn't pulled?

Ursi knows all.

Erk

Author: skybluewater Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110533 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/28/2005 8:47 PM
Felix
Reagan voter

Hey, nobody's perfect...

Erk

Author: noanchorbabies Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110534 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/28/2005 9:06 PM
How dare a German, of all people, call a former US President (a very decent one, at that) a "despot loving moron"?

Because he is one?

Hmm. a good PC multi-culti like yourself engaging in racial profiling? For shame!

And only 6 recs? C'mon, your PA inmate support group can do better than that. Fire out some e-mails. Spread the word. "Sky has just posted another Ursula bash!! Get on over here NOW guys. We got the numbers. Let's get this one onto the Fool's Best list."

Author: skybluewater Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110535 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/28/2005 9:11 PM
How dare a German, of all people, call a former US President (a very decent one, at that) a "despot loving moron"?
------
Because he is one?

So if I called you...what you are, it would be okay, because you ARE one?

Hmm. a good PC multi-culti like yourself engaging in racial profiling? For shame!

Of course, it's perfectly fine for Ursi to bash the French, UN, and Arabs non-stop...

And only 6 recs? C'mon, your PA inmate support group can do better than that. Fire out some e-mails. Spread the word. "Sky has just posted another Ursula bash!! Get on over here NOW guys. We got the numbers. Let's get this one onto the Fool's Best list."

That only works on PA.

Erik

Author: Vile Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110537 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/28/2005 10:44 PM
skybluewater,
"She deserved it. How dare a German, of all people, call a former US President (a very decent one, at that) a "despot loving moron"?"

I don't believe I have ever heard anything so hypocritical in all my life. Daily you watch Brits trash our President on PA and nary a word of indignation is uttered by you. So sad.

Cheers,

Vile
NEVER SAY DIE!!!

Author: crobinso Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110541 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/28/2005 11:20 PM
TMFSpeck added to your Favorite Fools list

Best,

Speck

Author: crobinso Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110542 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/28/2005 11:25 PM
TMFSpeck's post (No. 110447) has been placed within the top 10 of all posts on this board, and the first post to make the top ten since the days following 9/11.

Charles
statistician

Author: wzambon Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110545 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/29/2005 12:02 AM
And that should actually be the tas of the respective governments and not Mr. Carters´.

The homes built by Habitat for Humanity are paid for by the families who move in. It is a no interest loan. Money paid is used to help build other homes.

The families are also required by Habitat to donate 200 hours of "sweat equity" in the construction of their home or the homes of others. In the process, they learn some of the rudimentary skills that will serve them well in maintenance and home repair.

It's a great program and yields more dignity and a better home than any government sponsored program. Hats off to jimmy Carter. He's coming to Detroit for a huge project here this summer. I hope to swing a hammer with him.

Bill Z

Author: fivefathom Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110546 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/29/2005 12:05 AM
TMFSpeck's post (No. 110447) has been placed within the top 10 of all posts on this board ...

... by left-wing PA board lemmings.

"Statistics are no substitute for judgment." Henry Clay (1777-1852)

peter
realist

Author: wzambon Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110547 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/29/2005 12:11 AM
Recommendations: 11

Quotes are no substitute for intelligence.

bill Z

Author: crobinso Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110548 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/29/2005 12:16 AM
I said,

TMFSpeck's post (No. 110447) has been placed within the top 10 of all posts on this board ...

To which fivefathom felt the need to respond:

peter
realist

There are plenty of right-wing PA board lemmings on this board, too. All such lemmings, left- and right- make me sick.

I dare to say the TMFSpeck's post (No. 110447) WAS a judgment, Peter. It was one that you apparently (obviously?) objected to.

Charles

Author: noanchorbabies Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110551 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/29/2005 12:21 AM

Exactly. It says NOTHING about this board. He makes an inane personal attack on one of CE's most respected contributors, expressing a point of view that would ordinarily have trouble getting more than 2 or 3 recs, and suddenly it gets nearly a hundred! Nobody is fooled.

Author: skybluewater Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110552 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/29/2005 12:21 AM

Is that the new Repug buzzword or something?

Erik

Author: skybluewater Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110553 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/29/2005 12:22 AM
Quotes are no substitute for intelligence.

I'm racking my brain trying to think of who said that.

Erk

Author: skybluewater Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110554 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/29/2005 12:23 AM
Exactly. It says NOTHING about this board. He makes an inane personal attack on one of CE's most respected contributors, expressing a point of view that would ordinarily have trouble getting more than 2 or 3 recs, and suddenly it gets nearly a hundred! Nobody is fooled.

Certainly not those prone to believe conspiracy theories.

"Billery had Vince Foster murdered! Iraq did OK City and 9/11! JFK was assassinated by space aliens!"

Erik

Author: fivefathom Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110558 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/29/2005 1:22 AM
There are plenty of right-wing PA board lemmings on this board, too.

Charles, I have no objection to folks who post on both boards nor do I consider them lemmings, but 100+ plus recs is an evidential trail of left-wing lemming feces ...

Didn't I see somewhere that you're having a Memorial Day BBQ tomorrow? Have a wonderful day.

pete

P.S. Hope I'm not keeping you up. <g>

Author: fivefathom Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110561 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/29/2005 1:35 AM
Quotes are no substitute for intelligence. ... all ZZZs

Nor are cute little blue crowns. Hmmm, sermons without quotations ... what a concept.

PA-loink ...

pete

Author: CCSand Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110563 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/29/2005 1:47 AM
crobinso wrote:

TMFSpeck's post (No. 110447) has been placed within the top 10 of all posts on this board, and the first post to make the top ten since the days following 9/11.

How pathetic that such a paean to Carter would get so many recommendations.

I guess one really can fool a lot of people a lot of the time.

CCSand

Author: CCSand Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110565 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/29/2005 1:52 AM
Bill Z. wrote:

It's a great program and yields more dignity and a better home than any government sponsored program. Hats off to jimmy Carter. He's coming to Detroit for a huge project here this summer. I hope to swing a hammer with him.

And they make great houses too. I think this is the best thing Jimmy Carter has ever done. I'd be proud to swing a hammer with him too.

I just wish he'd stick to building houses. Foreign policy isn't his strong suit (with one notable exception).

CCSand

Author: coyote97 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110572 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/29/2005 4:23 AM
Hey, Vile, if I rob a bank or steal money from my company, and use the money to feed and clothe hundreds of starving poor families, does that make my actions any less criminal?

No.

Why not in your view... you support doing it with the US treasury.

Author: coyote97 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110574 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/29/2005 4:48 AM
Recommendations: 10
There are plenty of right-wing PA board lemmings on this board, too. All such lemmings, left- and right- make me sick.

Interesting Charles. Speck's post you quoted.... lighting up the board.... compelling you to add him to your favorite fools list was typical partisan commentary.... the point was clear Bush is a scumbag and Carter may not be perfect but he is a good good man.

The buzz about such commentary is precisely Pavlovian dinner bell answering. So what would be an example of a PA board lemming incident and how is it different from this?

Just looked like another "Bush sucks" with a don't be talking about one of ours... he's a good man thrown in.

Author: JPLenny Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110575 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/29/2005 5:40 AM
Since that time Rhodesia now Zimbabwe has gone from a society that was well nourished and eduated (even the Blacks) to a desperate society ravished by Aids, tyranny, and hopelessness. Mugabee has cozied up with China and literally masacres the indigenous population into submission. He rigged the last election through intimidation

Let us not forget about Mugabee refusing foreign aid because of it being a "plot" of the opposition parties. Meanwhile, millions of people in Zimbabwe are starving. How about ordering all the flea markets and shacks torn down in Harare because they were an eyesore. 10,000 arrested In Harare and many shelters burned down by the government. Forget about letting the people have shelter and earn a living.

I was in Harare this past week: http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=22548904

I'm willing to be things are only going to get worse.

Author: CCSand Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110576 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/29/2005 5:55 AM
JPLenny wrote:

Meanwhile, millions of people in Zimbabwe are starving.

Thanks for your report.

It sounds very much like the situation in Mohammed Farrah Aidid's Somalia, in which he let opposition groups starve to death by controlling the distribution of food - including those foodstuffs that came from the US/UN.

CCSand

Author: wzambon Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110577 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/29/2005 7:14 AM
Hmmm, sermons without quotations ... what a concept.

Hmmm... personal attacks without basis..... what a goober.

Bill Z

Author: skybluewater Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110583 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/29/2005 10:40 AM
The buzz about such commentary is precisely Pavlovian dinner bell answering. So what would be an example of a PA board lemming incident and how is it different from this?

Looks like your rec stuffing buds our out in force this morning. (From what I hear, days will go by around here, on the quiet board, without anyone getting any recs at all.)

It's gotta be a conspiracy. It might even be a cabal...

Erik

Author: FULLERKZ Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110584 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/29/2005 10:44 AM
"The buzz about such commentary is precisely Pavlovian dinner bell answering."

Good one Coyote. Charles is like my favorite brother(I have 3). Knowledgable, well read,courteous, respectful, kind, fun to be with, enjoys good food and drink; would do anything including as we say "take the shirt off his back" to help you. We fight often about politics.

I truly believe if we were fish, I'd be a bass or a bluegill, but Charles is channel cat all the way....he takes the bait hook, line and sinker!

I'd say with your independence and commonsense, you must be a tuna...do look out for those bears!

Author: coyote97 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110620 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/29/2005 4:34 PM
Good one Coyote. Charles is like my favorite brother(I have 3). Knowledgable, well read,courteous, respectful, kind, fun to be with, enjoys good food and drink; would do anything including as we say "take the shirt off his back" to help you. We fight often about politics.

I truly believe if we were fish, I'd be a bass or a bluegill, but Charles is channel cat all the way....he takes the bait hook, line and sinker!

I'd say with your independence and commonsense, you must be a tuna...do look out for those bears!

I like Charles... in fact he's been on my FF list for sometime as he is a welcome bar stool occupant at Gwen's. My post was not intended to be a zinger. Though I will admit the sentence you quoted was a pointed comment not necessarily at Charles. :-)

I was earnestly inquiring how it was any different than the lemming PA antics. It was a post on all the wonderful things about Jimmy Peanut and a closing jab at Bush (the portion Charles quoted).

All in all I think this thread would blend right in on PA. It is similar in tone, content, and usefulnees. :-)

Author: crassfool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110621 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/29/2005 4:35 PM
CCSand says

The West Bank and Gaza had such great democracy under Arafat the dictator. And Venezuela!? They've got Castro's clone in Venezuela right now. And Chavez is now trying to export his "revolution" to Columbia, in true Sandinista/Communist fashion.

Right there you prove you don't know anything about either Castro or Chavez. If you're going to attack someone of Carter's stature, you need better ammunition than this drivel.

crassfool

Author: coyote97 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110622 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/29/2005 4:37 PM
All in all I think this thread would blend right in on PA. It is similar in tone, content, and usefulnees. :-)

Case in point:

Right there you prove you don't know anything about either Castro or Chavez. If you're going to attack someone of Carter's stature, you need better ammunition than this drivel.

Author: crassfool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110624 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/29/2005 4:53 PM
I've had a moderate admiration for Jimmy Carter for years, for various reasons. But even if I'd never heard of him before, I could read the spew of untruth and Vilification from the usual hatemongers in this thread, and say to myself, Wow, that Jimmy Carter must be a pretty great guy!

crassfool

Author: CCSand Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110625 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/29/2005 4:54 PM
crassfool wrote:

Right there you prove you don't know anything about either Castro or Chavez.

I know what my friends who have family in Venezuela are telling me, and they're not happy. I know that Castro has made such a paradise of Cuba that people are literally dying to get out of there.

That tells me everything I need to know about these two jokers.

And I know a lot more than that.

CCSand

Author: CCSand Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110627 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/29/2005 4:56 PM
crassfool wrote:

But even if I'd never heard of him before, I could read the spew of untruth and Vilification from the usual hatemongers in this thread, and say to myself, Wow, that Jimmy Carter must be a pretty great guy!

You have your head pretty far down in the sand there.

I recommend coming up for air - and light.

CCSand

Author: DarthFerret Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110635 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/29/2005 5:42 PM
salongi: "This thread caught my eye because I see sky has made the top of the most recommended board by insulting Ursula."

Erk: "She deserved it. How dare a German, of all people, call a former US President (a very decent one, at that) a "despot loving moron"?"

This message has been marked in your Favorites for later reply.

With some people, all you have to do is give 'em enough rope.

I'll be citing this, Erk, every time you chime in when c1ick, Debil's Avocado, or Ape (or any other non-Americans) rag on GWB.

-Darth

P.S. My recommendation for the next time you do this: wear slippers. They fit in your mouth easier.

Author: fivefathom Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110649 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/29/2005 11:55 PM
DarthFerret added to your Favorite Fools list

Darth, I hope you're not a stranger here in future ... I thoroughly enjoyed reading some of your recent responses to the PA rec-ho-rabble. Like some others here I once frequented the PA board, but now limit myself to bemused observation of their occasional pied-piper led, panic-driven lemming prattling here ...

pete

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110652 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/30/2005 12:57 AM
In its truest sense, ex-president Carter is an honorable man yet his failing was in believing he could find honorable men when, in fact, their honorable side was slight at best. Yet he believed he could sway through dialogue not always realizing that dialogue mattered not a whit to those having an agenda cloaked by 'honor'. In this I feel he was duped.

In a way I feel President Carter is a Diogenes holding a lamp high searching for an honest man believing at in the worst of us is a fragment of the best. Not naïve but trusting a view that did not have a response he wanted. Not that he was a bad president, far from it, but a president more suitable for a time not of his presidency. In that I think he failed and, my guess, is that he knows this. Not that he was indecisive but wanted discourse at a time when discourse was not the means by which there was effect.

What I admire about him is that he has taken his presidency as a mandate to do other work. In his actions – maybe not always successful – he inspires people to do what they can. To monitor elections so there is fairness is an admirable task even if, in the doing, it is not always what results in fairness. That fairness does not always happen is not President Carter's fault – how can you fault someone for trying under what are insurmountable odds?

I don't think the Carter presidency will be able to put in perspective until more unfolds. Possibly we may look back and say that what he was predicated a direction. But that is to be seen. My view is that judging ex-president Carter's tenure is premature.

MichaelR

Author: DarthFerret Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110655 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/30/2005 3:51 AM
Thanks, Pete. I was here a lot more often until 2 weeks ago. I got suspended for 3 days for insulting a major world deity and then reposting what I thought was a sufficiently-censored version of my OP. TMF decided that I hadn't censored it enough. Oh well. That was a blessing in disguise. After standing up out of the pig-slop and taking a few steps out of the wallow for a few days, I got a better picture of the pointless rambling and ignorant filth that flies around this board. I just can't get into it the same way as I was before. I'll still be posting, just not with the fervor and frequency that I was before my suspension. Thanks again for your words of support, though.

-Ryan (aka, Darth)

Author: trismus Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110656 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/30/2005 4:53 AM
Good grief!!

Hundreds of rec's on this thread, where did they all come from.

Vulgarity has taken over the board, how about exercising a little dignity and decorum with a smidgen of self restraint.

Where did they all come from?

This board is losing it's identity, has lost it's identity.

Regards

Tony

Author: fivefathom Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110676 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/30/2005 10:08 AM
Good grief!!

Hundreds of rec's on this thread, where did they all come from.

Actually, Tony, they're from leftist PA lemmings and gerbils for the most part.

peter

Author: IronicFelix Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110681 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/30/2005 10:36 AM
Recommendations: 22
Actually, Tony, they're from leftist PA lemmings and gerbils for the most part.

Is this an example of the kind of high-minded, civil discourse that occurs on the CE board that needs to be protected from the rowdy, vulgar denizens of the Asylum?

Author: Vile Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110687 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/30/2005 11:15 AM
IronicFelix,
"Is this an example of the kind of high-minded, civil discourse that occurs on the CE board that needs to be protected from the rowdy, vulgar denizens of the Asylum?"

No, it has no place here. Then again, neither do some of the posters who are invading this board of late.

Cheers,

Vile
NEVER SAY DIE!!!

Author: StormWarning Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110696 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/30/2005 12:18 PM
Vile writes about the "level" of discourse referred to by IF: "...it has no place here. Then again, neither do some of the posters who are invading this board of late."

Now, you see, that brings up a very few interesting questions:

1) just when, in your opinion, did this invasion begin (although I prefer to call it an incursion)?

2) where do you draw the line (meaning, at what point do those who post here represent those who pre-date the incursion, and therefore, well...)?

Artie Johnson said, v-e-r-r-r-r-y interesting!

Author: Vile Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110698 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/30/2005 12:37 PM
StormWarning,
"Now, you see, that brings up a very few interesting questions:

1) just when, in your opinion, did this invasion begin (although I prefer to call it an incursion)?"

The agenda you choose to keep in hiding is in reference to your sometimes elitist attitude about who got here first how how much that should play into who has the most toys or in this case, relevance. If I am wrong, I apologize.

Invasion and incursion differ little except in size. Use whichever term you like.

I actually have no say who posts here nor do I care much. What I dislike and what I can little about, is the posters who come in here like pidgeons and leaving their droppings all over the place. I dislike the partisanship and the nastiness they bring with them. I could not tell you when it started nor do I care. In fact, it probably happens from time to time.

I was once a denizen of PA. I came here to clean up. I try to be non-partisan (no, it doesn't always work). I also try not to be as mean or ugly as those who currently populate PA. I am here for debate and to keep abreast of the deeper side of the issues.

"2) where do you draw the line (meaning, at what point do those who post here represent those who pre-date the incursion, and therefore, well...)?"

I don't. It would be like trying nail jello to the wall. I commented only because someone used derogatory terms to describe posters. The comments were unnecessary but so are many of the posts made here by those who typically populate PA.

Cheers,

Vile
NEVER SAY DIE!!!

Author: Anibaldo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110699 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/30/2005 1:03 PM
I was once a denizen of PA. I came here to clean up. I try to be non-partisan (no, it doesn't always work). I also try not to be as mean or ugly as those who currently populate PA. I am here for debate and to keep abreast of the deeper side of the issues.

Vile,

on occasions, I too have posted on PA. You know that I'm a non-partisan searcher just as you are. Do you think CE is the right place for me?

Abe

Author: FULLERKZ Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110700 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/30/2005 1:05 PM
"1) just when, in your opinion, did this invasion begin (although I prefer to call it an incursion)?"

I'd say August 5th, 2004.

http://aolboards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=21127744

Author: StormWarning Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110702 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/30/2005 1:09 PM
I made a simple post, and simplemindedly, I asked a few questions.

I have no agenda (especially not for this place anymore - I'm doing most of my "heavy lifting" writing elsewhere - and frankly, knowing that you will advise me to "cool down," I have no elitist attitude...but I do find it interesting when you lecture others). As a trial lawyer would say in your case, "your honor, the prosecution opened this area of questioning..." and I'm am walking through the door that was opened.

Personally, I am amused at the incessant name calling and branding of people that occurs here (since the invasion, or whatever). Frankly, even though I don't agree with IF's general point of view (not having ever really read his stuff before), I don't find his questions (especially the posts in which he asks direct questions), to be that offesive to read...but then, I guess that will open other doors.

Anyway, clean-up as you may...I have a few hotdogs to put on the grill (and atleast one with chili for my good friend Kent, who like me, finds it possible to call himself a version of my description of myself, a committed RepublicraticLiberservative).

Author: MasonMcDan Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110705 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/30/2005 1:14 PM
Personally, I am amused at the incessant name calling and branding of people that occurs here (since the invasion, or whatever). Frankly, even though I don't agree with IF's general point of view (not having ever really read his stuff before), I don't find his questions (especially the posts in which he asks direct questions), to be that offesive to read...but then, I guess that will open other doors.

Bbbut... those sneeches have stars upon thars!

Author: Vile Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110709 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/30/2005 1:59 PM
Anibaldo,
"Vile,

on occasions, I too have posted on PA. You know that I'm a non-partisan searcher just as you are. Do you think CE is the right place for me?

Abe"

If you want high minded debate rhetoric free, I think this is better than PA. I like it because fewer people post and there are not as many posts to keep up with. The partisan sniping isn't usually near as bad.

Cheers,

Vile
NEVER SAY DIE!!!

Author: Vile Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110730 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/30/2005 6:18 PM
StormWarning,
"Anyway, clean-up as you may...I have a few hotdogs to put on the grill (and atleast one with chili for my good friend Kent, who like me, finds it possible to call himself a version of my description of myself, a committed RepublicraticLiberservative)."

I hope you enjoyed the feast. A buddy of mine retired from the Air Force after 22 years and I had a steak, chicken and hot dog barbeque for him on Friday. Needless to say, we did not barbeque today. We did play the new Star Wars Trivial pursuit game and my 7 year old beat me. ;) I had my four year old who managed to get one right and my mother who has seen neither episode 1 or 2. My wife had my eldest boy and my sister who had also not seen 1 and 2. The questions ranged all 6 motion pictures and none of us have seen 3 yet. My wife and I will go see 3 to determine if the boys can go. I think we will just go see where we need to hold our hands over their eyes. ;)

Anyway, have a great day.

Cheers,

Vile
NEVER SAY DIE!!!

Author: CCSand Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110746 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/31/2005 2:40 AM
Vile wrote:

My wife and I will go see 3 to determine if the boys can go.

This one is not for children as young as yours. I would definitely wait until they are older.

CCSand

Author: AdvocatusDiaboli Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110751 of 176697
Subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Date: 5/31/2005 7:32 AM

This board is losing it's identity, has lost it's identity.

As far as I can see, the identity of the board is as an incubation chamber for right-wing paranoid delusions. I don't think that would be a great loss.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (102) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement