UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: MLD38 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1949677  
Subject: Jimmy Cracked Corn and He Don't Care Date: 8/19/2006 5:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
Jimmy Cracked Corn and He Don't Care
August 18th, 2006, LoneStarPundit's blog entry about Jimmy Carter's recent remarks.
http://lonestarpundit.wordpress.com/2006/08/18/jimmy-cracked-corn-and-he-dont-care/
Starts off:
..."They always say you can never get enough of a good thing. Unfortunately, it seems like it's the bad ones that linger the longest, and that certainly held true this week. Yesterday brought us a double-shot of former President Jimmy Carter, and it was as vile and tasteless as always."...

Includes:

First, the Texas Rainmaker tells us of a “gift that keeps on giving,” as Carter-appointed federal judge Anna Diggs Taylor decided that President Bush's beleaguered phone-monitoring program was illegal.

…"[B]ottom line, this case is about [a] Carter appointee incorrectly ruling on an ACLU-concocted lawsuit on behalf of admitted anti-American terrorist sympathizers challenging a type of program that has succeeded in thwarting massive terror plots on multiple occasions, claiming the President is wilfully breaking the law, despite the program having Congressional oversight and overwhelming support in the Justice Department, the legal community and the American public.

While our minimum wage airport security officials are focusing on shaving cream and toothpaste, the terrorists are being handed a gaping loophole in security by the liberal Left and their terror-loving “plaintiffs”....

Second on the menu was the old windbag himself, who according to Jerry Weidenhof of Lone Star Times is up to his old tricks again.

..."Unless you are Cindy Sheehan, prepare to be nauseated by this peanut-brained relic of a failed presidency who fancies himself the elder statesman of modern America.

Mr. Carter apparently lives in an alternate universe where the United States was never attacked by Muslim fanatics and those same fanatics do not threaten anyone even now. Mr. Carter's fairy-tale world also includes evil Jews who trample the rights of poor Lebanese and Hezbollah types with bombs."...

LoneStarPundit continues:

..."Carter went to great pains in a recent interview with German magazine Der Spiegel to bash America, American foreign policy, Israel, Christians and anti-Communism, while fawning over Cuban dictator Fidel Castro. He furthermore demonstrated his total separation from reality with this assertion about his own presidency:

If you are still not convinced the man is detached from reality:

Carter says, "I had four years in the White House — it was not a failure."

As Jerry Weidenhof of Lone Star Times points out:
..."the saddest thing about this old man is that he actually does seem to “represent a significant wing of the Democrat Party today which hates its own country, hates President Bush, and hates people of religion.” And that's an illness for which there doesn't seem to be an easy cure."...

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: techie23 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 984138 of 1949677
Subject: Re: Jimmy Cracked Corn and He Don't Care Date: 8/19/2006 5:17 PM
Recommendations: 0
http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/4782/jcfailure1wz9.jpg

Author: agyjdgphil Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 984139 of 1949677
Subject: Re: Jimmy Cracked Corn and He Don't Care Date: 8/19/2006 5:32 PM
Recommendations: 2
Hmmmmmm.....aren't the same people who declare Jimmy Carter a failure the same ones who call Bush a success? I guess it all depends on your definitions. But "denial" cuts both ways....

Author: IncorrigibleFool Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 984177 of 1949677
Subject: Re: Jimmy Cracked Corn and He Don't Care Date: 8/19/2006 8:34 PM
Hmmmmmm.....aren't the same people who declare Jimmy Carter a failure the same ones who call Bush a success? I guess it all depends on your definitions. But "denial" cuts both ways....
==========
I seem to recall both democrats and republican citizens complaining about being unable to live with a mortgage on their home that was locked in at 18% interest rates and we had rampant inflation.

Carter - clearly the worst president in modern times. I liked the man's character but I could never imagine a more incompetent bureaucrat.

IF

Author: TaoFelix Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 984180 of 1949677
Subject: Re: Jimmy Cracked Corn and He Don't Care Date: 8/19/2006 9:03 PM
Recommendations: 8
I seem to recall both democrats and republican citizens complaining about being unable to live with a mortgage on their home that was locked in at 18% interest rates and we had rampant inflation.

I seem to recall that Carter inherited a crappy economy from Nixon/Ford -- high inflation, oil crisis, etc. Carter appointed Paul Volcker Fed chairman. Volcker cleaned up the Republican economic mess.

Author: IncorrigibleFool Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 984199 of 1949677
Subject: Re: Jimmy Cracked Corn and He Don't Care Date: 8/19/2006 10:43 PM

I seem to recall that Carter inherited a crappy economy from Nixon/Ford -- high inflation, oil crisis, etc. Carter appointed Paul Volcker Fed chairman. Volcker cleaned up the Republican economic mess.

==========
But think back further - L. B. Johnson preceded them and just about bankrupt the country with his "Great Society" welfare state. He declared war on poverty and created the biggest co-dependency known to man outside of Communist Russia. We still stagger from the Trillions of dollars in accumulated debt and inflation.

IF

Author: synchronicity Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 984221 of 1949677
Subject: Re: Jimmy Cracked Corn and He Don't Care Date: 8/20/2006 1:38 AM
seem to recall both democrats and republican citizens complaining about being unable to live with a mortgage on their home that was locked in at 18% interest rates

Yeah, the first two years under Reagan really were bad, weren't they?

http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/series/WMORTG?&cid=114 Look real close at when the rates hit 18%. (OK, fine, it was 9-11-81 thru 11-13-81)

-synchronicity, ya really wanna talk late 70's/early 80's economics?

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 984263 of 1949677
Subject: Re: Jimmy Cracked Corn and He Don't Care Date: 8/20/2006 9:17 AM
Recommendations: 133
But think back further - L. B. Johnson preceded them and just about bankrupt the country with his "Great Society" welfare state.

Yes, let's think back. In fact, let's use some actual facts as we do.

The Vietnam was was costing the country about $6 billion a year (adjusted for inflation, that's about $60 billion.) Lyndon Johnson's "Great Society" was costing the county about $1 billion per year.

So when we "think back" about how the "Great Society" nearly bankrupted the country, let's try to see if the $6 billion or the $1 billion is the larger number, and then perhaps we'll have a better idea about it all.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Society
http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq/2003-09-07-cover-costs_x.htm

Now let's think back to 1964, when Johnson first took office, and got Congress to pass a tax cut (does this sound familiar?). Later, he realized that running large deficits was not sound fiscal policy (this does not sound familiar, at least with the current administration) and he tried to get a short term "war tax surcharge" passed, but it took several years to do so. In that intervening time, inflation began, notably picking up in 1968, 1969, and 1970.

Richard Nixon instituted "wage and price controls", for those who remember. Accomplished nothing, of course. Jerry Ford's solution was to equip Washington bureaucrats with "W.I.N." (Whip Inflation Now) buttons and do nothing else. Accomplished even less than nothing, except to provide fodder for comedians and economists.

And then Jimmy Carter appointed Paul Volker to the Fed, who said at the time that he needed to dramatically increase interest rates to "get ahead" of runaway inflation, cool off the overheated economy, and bake the mandatory COLAs out of union contracts and the public psyche. Well, it worked, but it cost Carter his re-election.

So let's try to remember what cause the inflation: an unbalanced budget, largely funding an unpopular and ultimately unsuccessful war, prosecuted ineptly in a foreign land, a tax cut early in a President's administration, an unwillingness to have the American people pay for military adventures, and a refusal to confront reality with respect to balancing the national budget.

So yes, let's "think back", but let's try to keep actual history in our thoughts, rather than the lunatic rantings of ill informed talk show bloviators and others who would deny what actually happened in favor of political polemic.

Author: goofyinMD Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 984295 of 1949677
Subject: Re: Jimmy Cracked Corn and He Don't Care Date: 8/20/2006 11:50 AM
Don't ever try to confuse Bushies with real history, Goofy. They like their scapegoat story line.

Author: ggiovanni Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 984346 of 1949677
Subject: Re: Jimmy Cracked Corn and He Don't Care Date: 8/20/2006 2:25 PM
The Vietnam was was costing the country about $6 billion a year (adjusted for inflation, that's about $60 billion.) Lyndon Johnson's "Great Society" was costing the county about $1 billion per year.

So when we "think back" about how the "Great Society" nearly bankrupted the country, let's try to see if the $6 billion or the $1 billion is the larger number, and then perhaps we'll have a better idea about it all.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Society
http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq/2003-09-07-cover-costs_x.htm

So let's try to remember what cause the inflation: an unbalanced budget, largely funding an unpopular and ultimately unsuccessful war, prosecuted ineptly in a foreign land, a tax cut early in a President's administration, an unwillingness to have the American people pay for military adventures, and a refusal to confront reality with respect to balancing the national budget.

$60 billion per year?

The Pentagon is spending about $6 billion a month on the war in Iraq, or about $200 million a day, according to the CBO.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11880954/

$6 billion x 12 months gives us $72 billion per year. In other words, the Iraq war is costing us more than the Vietnam war did annually. And look what happened to our economy after the Vietnam war.

It is to cheer for the Iraq war when you don't have to fight it and you think you don't have to pay for it. We will ALL have to pay for it eventually. Just take a glance at our economy in the 1970's.

Author: ghdude Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 984364 of 1949677
Subject: Re: Jimmy Cracked Corn and He Don't Care Date: 8/20/2006 3:41 PM

Yes, but Pfizer cured our "malaise".

Derek

Author: TMFSpeck Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 984457 of 1949677
Subject: Re: Jimmy Cracked Corn and He Don't Care Date: 8/20/2006 9:12 PM
Recommendations: 136
"the saddest thing about this old man is that he actually does seem to “represent a significant wing of the Democrat Party today which hates its own country, hates President Bush, and hates people of religion.”

Sadder still is that this is the sort of disingenuous, ignorant remark that seems to pass as fact these days.

Carter loved his country enough to serve as a sailor, a Governor, a President. Not that much different from GWB, the latter's suspect service in TANG notwithstanding.

Far from "hat[ing] people of religion", Jimmy Carter is deeply religious and still involved in Bible studies in his church. It's just that he finds using religion as a truncheon against those who would disagree with the government deeply offensive.

And there are many Democrats, including myself, who don't "hate Bush", but hate what he has come to represent -- an important distinction.

Say what you will about Carter, but country-hating, anti-religious Bush hater is so far from the truth as to be comical.

I would take that "old man" over the current President in a heartbeat.

Best,

Speck

Author: ghdude Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 984459 of 1949677
Subject: Re: Jimmy Cracked Corn and He Don't Care Date: 8/20/2006 9:19 PM
Say what you will about Carter, but country-hating, anti-religious Bush hater is so far from the truth as to be comical.

Despite the fact that I disagree with nearly all of his domestic agenda, and quite a bit of his foreign policy, Carter was and is a good man who meant well and served his country. The anti-religious thing is kinda silly given the whole "I have lust in my heart" confession.

Derek

Author: LovesChocolate Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 984480 of 1949677
Subject: Re: Jimmy Cracked Corn and He Don't Care Date: 8/20/2006 10:35 PM
Funny that Democrats would see anything to support in the peanut farmer.

After all, he's the one who made it "OK" for a president to make loud and public claims to religiosity and piety as a substitute for effective leadership and sound public policy.

Carter was a ruthless politician who with some very smart people on his side took advantage of a critically wounded Republican party (after Watergate) and who gamed the Democratic nominating system to win the nomination and then the presidency.

After assuming the presidency, his "holier than thou" attitude, his smart-aleck know-it-all-edness, alienated member of his own party.

Carter thought himself infallible because he had God on his side.

Sound like anyone else you know?

Even now, Carter thinks he knows better than anyone else.

Guess what? Jimmy don't know diddly-do.

Author: Mitamuna Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 984493 of 1949677
Subject: Re: Jimmy Cracked Corn and He Don't Care Date: 8/20/2006 11:06 PM
http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/Printable.asp?ID=23663

Funny thing, Doesn't he believe he deserved most of the credit for the Israeli-Egyptian peace?

Mark

Author: IncorrigibleFool Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 984497 of 1949677
Subject: Re: Jimmy Cracked Corn and He Don't Care Date: 8/20/2006 11:12 PM
Recommendations: 1
So yes, let's "think back", but let's try to keep actual history in our thoughts, rather than the lunatic rantings of ill informed talk show bloviators and others who would deny what actually happened in favor of political polemic.
========
I am talking about the combined costs of Johnston's programs. Once the barn door was opened it was impossible to stop the financial hemorrhaging. That initial $1b/$6B afi figure is just the cost of the match to light the candle. I don't have handy the exact combined costs over the intervening decades but its certainly enough to pay down a huge chunk of our national debt.

IF

Author: ggiovanni Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 984591 of 1949677
Subject: Re: Jimmy Cracked Corn and He Don't Care Date: 8/21/2006 7:39 AM
Recommendations: 4
...."the saddest thing about this old man is that he actually does seem to “represent a significant wing of the Democrat Party today which hates its own country, hates President Bush, and hates people of religion.”

I doubt any Democrat hates America. Hell, this is why they are running for office to change it for the better. I don't hate Bush personally (he might actually be fun to haver a beer with). However, I do hate his policies. I don't hate people of religion, but I do hate their hypocricy. An easy example is "thou shalt not kill" that today's American Christians conventiently have forgotten. Or "turn the other cheek".

I could easily ask you the same thing: ...."the saddest thing about the neocons is that they actually does seem to “represent a significant wing of the Republican Party today which hates their own country, hates Democrats, and hates true Christians.”

Bush has united the world against us, he deliberately attacked Iraq with too few troops, he stated that he doesn't care where Osama bin Laden is. I could easily argue that Bush Jr hates America.

Do you recall the 2002 senate campaign in Georgia where the GOP insinuated that Max Cleland was a traitor and an AQ supporter? Talk about hating and smearing the Democrat.

Finally, could there be anything worse than coming up with policies that are very un-Christian and then label them as Christian. This is exactly that Bush Jr has done. His anti-life position on stem-cell research, for example, has nothing to do with Christian value. Or cutting funding for poor people. Or attack Iraq.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement