UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: JAFO31 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76397  
Subject: Re: Helping my fiance Date: 7/22/1999 7:22 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Jinxy: You wrote, in part, " I'm about to get married. I'm 30 and have $12k in a 401(k) . . .; I've got about $110k in the stock market, . . ., plus a Roth IRA. So I've got the groundwork.

My fiance is 41 and has nothing but $60k . . . .

I want to make sure he's as comfortable in retirement as I will be; but he's only got 20 years until then, where I've got 30 and am further along.

Are you planning not to be married to him in 20 years? That may sound like a facetious question, but to me it sounds like you plan for him not to be living with you when he retires. Merging the finances of two individuals who are getting married is not necessarily easy, and can be more complicated if the newlyweds are not fresh out of school (older), bring different savings and debts to the marriage, or have different levels of income.

Certainly I am not intending to disparaging planning, or the reality the some marriages do end in divorce, but I firmly believe that if a marriage is going to work, at some point it has to be two people in one financial boat both pulling in the same direction and not two people in separate boats that are temporarily joined together (or two people pulling in opposite directions).

There have been a number of discussions about joint finances on these boards; unfortunately they are scattered over several boards and times and I do not have them marked. I know that there has been a recent discussion on a board. Maybe some of the other regular posters can point you in the right direction. As I recollect 2gifts and RecoveringFool have both been thoughtful posters on this topic.

Hope this helps. Regards, JAFO
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement