Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
JLMoran writes (in part):

What does my wife do when we hit the limit? She can't contribute to the Roth any more at that point, so it's just going to sit there. Can she convert it to a regular IRA so she can keep making contributions? Or does she simply have to "let it ride" and get by on whatever compounding will happen afterwards?

I reply:

She need not convert the Roth to a regular IRA to keep making contributions. All she needs to do is make her later contributions (which will not be deductible) to a regular IRA. If your income ever drops below $100,000 (or the law changes), you'll even be able to convert the regular IRA to a Roth, paying taxes only on the earnings (since the regular IRA will be non-deductible). In the meantime, why not let the Roth ride? --Bob
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.