UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: gopete One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76887  
Subject: Re: Capital Gain? Date: 5/22/2001 11:42 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
jmbellv --- Yes, the same applies to investments held in a 401K. You only get taxed when you start withdrawals as ordinary income. However, you can rollover the 401k either partially or entirely into an IRA. If you choose a self directed IRA, the stock can be rolled over as well (check out Vanguard, Fidelity, TDWaterhouse for self directed IRAs). you should also consider taking the stock as an "in-kind" distribution whereby you keep the stock in a taxable account and only pay a tax on the cost basis of the stock when you receive it as a 401K distribution.
Your company 401k plan administrator can help you out with this. In this case, the capital gains are taxed at your caital gain rate when you decide to sell some. I found this approach useful when I rolled over the cash part of my 401k. Good luck --- gopete
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Munger and Buffett Wisdom
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.