Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

I was wondering if I could get some help on this one. I'm a US citizen living in Japan. From what I understand, I should not be required to have taxes on dividends taken out, unlike non-citizens.

In February, I began investing in DRP's for my wife and me (and my daughter). In four of the cases (three of them handled by equiserve), I had to send requests for W-9 forms to certify that I am a US citizen. I signed the forms, and three of the accounts have been taken care of. The JNJ (Johnson & Johnson) account is not yet. I got the following e-mail message from them today:

Dear Mr Melton

There is a foreign address on each of these accounts. Tax is being witheld in accordance with the tax agreement between the US and Japan (30%). I suggest you
contact a tax advisor if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Michael Logan
Shareholder Relations

This is not my understanding of the situation. None of the other companies gave me a hard time about this.

Any ideas?

Jay in Japan
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.