No. of Recommendations: 0
Joanna asks:

<<My mom says that there is a place on the tax forms that a person can deduct child care expenses, which is what I do for them. So aren't they going to turn my name into the IRS anyway?>>

If audited and asked to justify the deduction, than yes they will. That, in turn, would mean you should have reported that income, paid all applicable FICA and other taxes, etc. It sounds to me as if you meet the criteria for self-employment for income tax filing purposes. However, I'm not the tax guru in Fooldom and hesitate to say you must do so. Your income is probably still too low to require income tax filing. Thus, if you don't have to at this stage, why do so? The other tax expenses would eat into that income too much. I'd be tempted to let it ride, but again I'm not the expert on that subject.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.