UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Goldfinger1 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 74759  
Subject: Job Change Date: 8/15/1999 11:36 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Currently 55 yrs. old. Making 87,600 plus a bonus with potential of 0 TO 22%. It's usually around 12 to 15, but there have been 5% years.
I may have an offer of a new job. Base 105 to 110, no bonus. Other benefits almost equal, actually a little better. Title is less(-), responsibility is less(-), travel is less(+), work is similar(n/a). If I were younger, I would not mess with the resume by reducing my title, but at my age I'm not chasing the advancement as much any more. It seems to me that I should focus on the cash in hand. May have 7 to ten years of work left. Any thoughts?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: JABoa Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13154 of 74759
Subject: Re: Job Change Date: 8/15/1999 1:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
What is the vesting and employer match in your 401(k) going to be? From what you say, the gross pay is hardly different, so from the financial point of view there is no way to choose. The pension might provide a differentiator.

Otherwise, it seems to me you want to think about how unhappy you might be. Would you leave a good job with reasonable bosses and colleagues you like and respect for a 3% raise? I wouldn't. Would you leave a miserable job where you hate to go in in the morning, for a 3% cut? I would.

Author: rjm1 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13157 of 74759
Subject: Re: Job Change Date: 8/15/1999 3:25 PM

Currently 55 yrs. old. Making 87,600 plus a bonus with potential of 0 TO 22%. It's
usually around 12 to 15, but there have been 5% years.
I may have an offer of a new job. Base 105 to 110, no bonus. Other benefits
almost equal, actually a little better. Title is less(-), responsibility is less(-), travel is
less(+), work is similar(n/a). If I were younger, I would not mess with the resume
by reducing my title, but at my age I'm not chasing the advancement as much any
more. It seems to me that I should focus on the cash in hand. May have 7 to ten
years of work left. Any thoughts?

How secure is your present job and the new position. There could be unforseen problems in the new job and you could be on the street in 6 months.

The question is why do you want to leave the present job and how do you know the same problems will not be at the new job.

Based on your statements you would be making the move for a little money. If you have enough money saved so you could retire if you lost the new job I would make the move. If you can not retire and your current job is secure, I would stay put.

Author: x4a54 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13160 of 74759
Subject: Re: Job Change Date: 8/15/1999 4:39 PM

ditto.

ditto,
with some emphasis on Security...
seems to me that every year it's gets a little
harder to get the next job.

good luck,

jp

Author: markr33 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13820 of 74759
Subject: Re: Job Change Date: 9/9/1999 1:45 PM
Any pension benefits lost by switching jobs ?

Try getting a better deal from your current employer,
obviously you are worth more than you are currently
being paid. (for a similar job)

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement