No. of Recommendations: 0
Jodi --

You do need to do some homework and learn more.

Here are some questions I would try to answer:
- Are all of these plans annuities? (TIAA-CREF definitely is; Aetna probably is; I don't know about the others.)
- If they are annuities, make sure you understand all of the expenses involved. For example, I don't know if the expenses you listed are just for the funds/subaccounts or if they are the overall expenses. (Annuties typically have an expense for the management of the portfolio plus an M&E - mortaility and expense - fee on top of that. You need to know the total cost.)
- You also need to read the fine print in each annuity contract: are there redemption or transfer fees that effectively keep your money tied up 5 - 7 years?

I personally have a lot of faith in TIAA-CREF as an organization. I don't think you would go wrong with a totally TIAA-CREF portfolio balanced among choices which make you feel comfortable.

jtmitch

Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement